Notices

tpms

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
tking is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
tking's Tacoma Gallery
tpms

So I bought a set of rims for my truck and I'm getting em put on tomorrow but I'm worried about my tpms sensors, I'm taking it to a place that does tires only, think they will know what's up? I read that I might have to get a "rebuild kit"when you take em off the existing rims to go on the new, thanks for the help...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

tking's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to say, the rims I'm putting on are off a 2010 fj
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Most tire shops that deal with newer/modern cars pretty much deal with TPMS all day. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. As far as a rebuild, it is recommended whenever you swap them over, but most people get away without doing it.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

tking's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Most tire shops that deal with newer/modern cars pretty much deal with TPMS all day. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. As far as a rebuild, it is recommended whenever you swap them over, but most people get away without doing it.
Good deal thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

tking's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so the guy at the tire shop wouldn't turn my tpms180 so they would work in my new rims, what should I do now, other than buy 4 new...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tking View Post
Ok so the guy at the tire shop wouldn't turn my tpms180 so they would work in my new rims, what should I do now, other than buy 4 new...
They should have offered to use TPMS straps. If they don't, take it somewhere else.

The straps are similar to this: http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

tking's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
They should have offered to use TPMS straps. If they don't, take it somewhere else.

Ok thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post

+1, if you have the factory steel wheels, the shop can use a strap kit like Keith mentioned to make the sensors useable on alloy wheels.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I say you just take the tpms off completely. I'd rather have them in a little tpms pipe bomb than mounted on the wheels or you can just leave the light on.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
if you are wanting the straps I purchased a set , and didn't install them, I had tpms turned 180 and tire shop marked wheels inside indicating that, PM me I'd give you a hell of a deal.