Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Toyo Open Country 2 or Maxxiss Bighorns???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Mogley369 is on a distinguished road
Mogley369's Tacoma Gallery
Toyo Open Country 2 or Maxxiss Bighorns???

Hey there,
This is my first post, so thanks in advance for the advice.
Basically I am trying to decide between a couple tires. I've been doing a lot of research, and read a lot of threads and reviews. Both the Toyo Open Country 2's and the Maxxiss Bighorns sound like equally great tires, just kind of depends on what you need them for/preferences.
I'll be putting them on a mostly stock 93 Xtra cab 3.0 V6. Most likely I'll be going with LT 235/75 R15 because that's the size I'm taking off, but if anyone thinks I could go bigger with not much change in mpg's etc I probably would.
Les Schwab is having their spring sale right now, so I can get a set of 4 Toyo's for around $780 installed, or a set of 4 Bighorns for $840.00 installed.
This is why it's such a hard choice, not much of a price difference, and they're both great tires.
The thing is I drive a lot on the highway, and a lot off road.
Any suggestions? Anyone want to make my mind up for me? It would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
I have the bighorns. Offroad traction is awesome. Does pretty good on wet roads as well. On highway tho, they are loud as youd expect for MTs.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of the Bighorns and loved them. They were not nearly as loud as I thought they were going to be.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
I use to have bighorns as well. They weren't that loud. They're one of my favorite tires for the price. I think your price is a little high on them though. When I had mine I bought them new for $800 cash mounted & balanced. They were also a 285/75R16, so they were bigger. I bet you can find them cheaper.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Open Country II are not Mud Terrain tires, so this is like apples and oranges, right?

How much time are you mudding or deep snow driving compared to all other forms of terrain and highway driving, to put up with the noise of a MT tires for that percentage of time?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Other Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedOther Scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Other Scott's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the toyo's on my truck about a month ago, 265/75/16. Really like them. Seem to be good in snow. They hum a little on the highway but I kind of like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyo Open Country 2 or Maxxiss Bighorns???-image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Open Country II are not Mud Terrain tires, so this is like apples and oranges, right?

How much time are you mudding or deep snow driving compared to all other forms of terrain and highway driving, to put up with the noise of a MT tires for that percentage of time?
good point, these 2 tires are not even in the same category. if you are able to get a great deal on toyo mt's now then you're talking good stuff!