Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help - Nitto Terra or Trail Grapplers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Question Help - Nitto Terra or Trail Grapplers

I have a 2010 DC with a Toytec Ultimate Lift. Currently running Duratracs at 285/70/17

Please READ -

I do not want to do a CMC

So after 6K miles on the Duratracs (I love them) I need to switch them out because I can't stand the rubbing at ANY turns into parking spaces etc... I wind up doing a 16 point turn to get into spaces and it drives me nuts and my wife...

So I have narrowed down my choices

255/75/17 Trail Grappler

or the

265/70/17 Terra Grappler

my driving is 90% freeway and I know the Terra Grappler is the way to go but I with my lift I want to get the most in my wheel well... as compared to stock tire size

I am leaning towards the 255/75/17 because it's going to keep me "close" to the 285/70/17 as far as appearance in the wheel well...

MANY people have stated the Trail Grappler is a Mud Terrain tire but most of my reading shows it's a cross between an AT and MT

Any help is appreciated
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Trail grappler is an mt tire no doubt. Why are you so against trimming to fit the duratracs? Is it only rubbing on the cab or have you trimmed the fender as well?

Of the 2 I would get the *trail* grapplers though.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

rubbing on UCA's....

Not trying to sound like a jerk... but....

I have spent HOURS AND HOURS reading threads on here...

Don't want to go with new rims with different back spacing because then I have to do CMC etc...

Don't want spacers

Just asking about opinions on the Trail Grappler versus the Terra Grappler

Susan - you stated "Of the 2 I would get the grapplers though."

which grappler? The Terra or Trail?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Lol the real grapplers.... The trails. I hate the Terra's they're everywhere up where I live and can't stand them.

What rims are you running?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
rubbing on UCA's....

Not trying to sound like a jerk... but....

I have spent HOURS AND HOURS reading threads on here...

Don't want to go with new rims with different back spacing because then I have to do CMC etc...

Don't want spacers

Just asking about opinions on the Trail Grappler versus the Terra Grappler

Susan - you stated "Of the 2 I would get the grapplers though."

which grappler? The Terra or Trail?
Lol @ Susan. I've run both of those tires and if you are 90% freeway I would go with the terra.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I'd just go with terra grapplers. I have trail grapplers and they are a heavy tire, not neccessary if you do 90% of your driving onroad. Judging by you not wanting to do a CMC -- you probably don't go crazy in the trails either. Why sacrafice gas mileage? Who cares if its a popular tire...thats a stupid reason to not buy them.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
save yourself the pain, don't buy Nitto. Especially the Terra Grappler.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
save yourself the pain, don't buy Nitto. Especially the Terra Grappler.
Elaborate, I'm the biggest BFG fanboy and didn't want to consider Nitto but I was pleased with both sets..
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
i was in a buddies truck last night and i asked what tire he has on his tacoma and he was like "dude never get nitto tera grapplers" apparently they have left him stranded one to many times..apparently they hate sand??? just thought id throw that out but on the highway i bet they are superb.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
i was in a buddies truck last night and i asked what tire he has on his tacoma and he was like "dude never get nitto tera grapplers" apparently they have left him stranded one to many times..apparently they hate sand??? just thought id throw that out but on the highway i bet they are superb.
I think the terras would excel in sand more than anything, that's basically all I drove on when I had mine with 0 issues.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Elaborate, I'm the biggest BFG fanboy and didn't want to consider Nitto but I was pleased with both sets..
So many bad reviews on the terra grapplers not lasting many miles on road use and extremely terrible traction off-road and severely weak sidewalls. I had a set and they wore down excessively fast and had my sidewall cut on their first offroad trip. Now my Mickey Thompson are champs
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
well then ha. i am just going off what my friend said about them...i would just get bfg all terrains i mean they last forever.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
I drive mostly roads, and i have 265/75R16 nitto terra grapplers they do great on road and off road(at least around here) I do not have any rubbing even when fully stuffed off road. and i don’t have any trimming done. The trail grappler is a mud tire, i would not get that if i was on the road 905 of the tire, 1 it’s not as good in rain as the terra grappler and it wont last as long.(milage)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
I think the terras would excel in sand more than anything, that's basically all I drove on when I had mine with 0 issues.

I hate this picture but here's me stuck in the sand with my terrible grapplers.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So many bad reviews on the terra grapplers not lasting many miles on road use and extremely terrible traction off-road and severely weak sidewalls. I had a set and they wore down excessively fast and had my sidewall cut on their first offroad trip. Now my Mickey Thompson are champs
The terras I would agree but I never went in anything other than sand. The trails were load range E, and looked new when I sold them, and we went through some s#it together , my only complaint with them was the road noise getting louder over time
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
The terras I would agree but I never went in anything other than sand. The trails were load range E, and looked new when I sold them, and we went through some s#it together , my only complaint with them was the road noise getting louder over time
It seems hit and miss with the terras. Almost 50/50 like they are inconsistent with their tires. Probably the most negative reviewed A/T on the market tho.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It seems hit and miss with the terras. Almost 50/50 like they are inconsistent with their tires. Probably the most negative reviewed A/T on the market tho.
Hah, don't get me wrong I wouldn't have willingly bought them but they came with the wheels. I'd rather have BFGs, but the trail grappler is a superb tire, I would consider buying them again when my KM2s die out which won't be for a while lol.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
get 265/75/16 duratracs
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #19

So evceryone is clear.. The Terra Grappler is an All Terrain tire I would never view it as a serious off road (sand) tire.. I would expect to get stuck... I Have the TERRA Grapplers on my wife's Jeep Liberty and love them, smooth ride and lots of mileage.. some dirt/fire trails is all we see..
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
So evceryone is clear.. The Terra Grappler is an All Terrain tire I would never view it as a serious off road (sand) tire.. I would expect to get stuck... I Have the TERRA Grapplers on my wife's Jeep Liberty and love them, smooth ride and lots of mileage.. some dirt/fire trails is all we see..
Not ragging on tostitos or his truck (which is pretty sick..) but prererunner vs 4wd in sand is apples and oranges