Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New guy going out of my mind picking tire size.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
muggsy is on a distinguished road
muggsy's Tacoma Gallery
New guy going out of my mind picking tire size.

Alright i have a 2007 trd access cab, bilstien 5100s front and back coming friday. Was going to buy tires and rims , now going tires only on stock 16" rims. I did a temporary black plastic dip paint job with a red pin stripe on it and think it looked real good. Now im going to sand blast and have them powder coated. what is the biggest A/T tire i can stuff under there. I have been reading posts for a week on this and keep getting different sizes? Even the tire people are giving different answers. I will post before and after pictures when i figure out how. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Generally, 265/75/16. You are getting mixed answers because it's kind of debatable on what the largest size you can fit. Without any more info (like what type of tire do you want, do you plan on keeping the stocks? If you swap to aftermarkets you will probably rub, what are the 5100s set at?) it's hard to give an accurate answer.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
muggsy's Tacoma Gallery
BFG a/t or nitto TG. Bilstiens on order, probably going to set at what truck looks like level, so could be max.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
BFG a/t or nitto TG. Bilstiens on order, probably going to set at what truck looks like level, so could be max.
Have you had the TSB performed on the rear leafs or have an AAL?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
muggsy's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size

No TSB OR AAL. Never new about the TSB at the time, if i have to AAL its no big deal to me. What would be the best AAL to buy?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a 2" AAL from toytec for pretty cheap. If you get the 5100s on I would think max (2.5 setting) would give a pretty stiff ride, considering all the preload on the springs.

Your profile also doesnt state if you are prerunner or 4x4. If you are 4wd you need to consider your CV angles. A 2" add a leaf and the 5100s set at .85 or 1.75 are a pretty common combo. 265/75/16s are a good size tire too. You could probably stuff 285s under there with a good bit of trimming or if you like the look of the tall skinny like I do, a 255/85/16. Probably less to trim with those.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
I did the 5100's in front and back, and the 3 Leaf HD 1.5 AAL from Wheelers. I put P265/75/16 Hankooks ATMs , they don't rub,and they are some good looking tires, cheaper than others.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
muggsy's Tacoma Gallery
Tires

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the 265/75/16 Sand blasted stock rims yesterday, going to take then to be powder coated today,do i buy the BFGS or the General A/T2, not happy with both being a E rated tire. Mostly pavement driving with snow and sand now and then. Had many sets of 35" BFGS on bigger pickups with no complaints, but i think they look to sidewall aggressive in a smaller tire then the General? Have to pull trigger real soon.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
Thanks, I'm going to stick with the 265/75/16 Sand blasted stock rims yesterday, going to take then to be powder coated today,do i buy the BFGS or the General A/T2, not happy with both being a E rated tire. Mostly pavement driving with snow and sand now and then. Had many sets of 35" BFGS on bigger pickups with no complaints, but i think they look to sidewall aggressive in a smaller tire then the General? Have to pull trigger real soon.
Look at the toyo at II or cooper at III Both available in c rated and both come with a treadwear warranty

www.treaddepot.com