Notices

Bent Steel wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Davell is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Bent Steel wheels

I have a 2010 DC 4x4 with the stock steel wheels. Replaced original tires with larger 265/75/16 and am having a problem with the rims getting bent. I do not off road but my dealership said that the larger tires are the problem. I now have to replace wheels and want to get rims that are stronger. Any thoughts. Not looking to break the bank and actually liked my steel rims.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Find it hard to believe going up 1 tire size and not offroading and you are bending wheels according to the dealer at fault because of the tires. I'd buy a set of TRD o/r for $200.. plenty of people run them with 285s without issues..
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Aluminum or steel replacement

Are the aluminum wheels stronger than the steel wheels?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
What are you doing with your truck? Bending wheels is not easy. Aluminum is lighter, not necessarily stronger, but it depends on how you look at it.

I *think* the stock aluminum wheels are a half inch wider than the steelies and would fit that width better.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing I hit was the usual pot holes. Been driving p/u for years and never had this problem. Dealer said tires are bigger and heavier than original ones but c'mon.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davell View Post
Only thing I hit was the usual pot holes. Been driving p/u for years and never had this problem. Dealer said tires are bigger and heavier than original ones but c'mon.
Your dealer is full of crap. How many wheels has this happened to?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
nbitzer is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nbitzer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I'm with the rest of these guys! I don't see how in the hell you could be bending wheels...Unless you are running like 10PSI in the tires and hitting huge pot holes at 60mph.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Put it this way,already put two from front on the back because of "wheel shake"
. Problem was better but now same thing with the other wheels up front. I might check balance again as maybe weights came off.Thought it was alignment but was told alignment was not problem. Truck goes straight but you get the shakes at about 60mph
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Get a road force balance on all your tires.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Any shop can do this? Should I go to dealer?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Go here and fill everything out to find one near you.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the help. Will do some legwork and see what happens.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Put it this way,already put two from front on the back because of "wheel shake"
. Problem was better but now same thing with the other wheels up front. I might check balance again as maybe weights came off.Thought it was alignment but was told alignment was not problem. Truck goes straight but you get the shakes at about 60mph
They are right about alignment. Misalignment won't create wheel shake, only uneven wear on tires and steering pull. Sounds like the tires are not balanced properly. It's actually very easy to throw them off balance and create a lot of steering wheel shake. For instance sometimes when I go muddin in thick mud or clay, I will get some that gets stuck on the rim As soon as i drive on pavement my steering wheel will shake very hard like something is really fucked up. So I pull over, clean the mud off my rims and problem solved.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
Some steel wheels can be really crappy, I've seen brand new ones that are not straight. They are not really easy to bend.

I've had tires that are not round, or go out of round, and defy efforts to balance them.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
R these wheels physically bent...
or simply out-of-round ?

Most wheels are not 100% true (round)
a wheel that is out-of-round can aggravate balance issues
worse if the tire is out-of-round too.

If the wheel is physically bent that's one thing...
If it's just out-of-round...
a good tire tech should be able to compensate some
by mounting the tire in a way that counterbalances (offsets)

This often requires turning the tire on the wheel
45*, 90* or even 180*

Now if a tech might be able to correct the current situation.
It'd be a good idea to recheck them after awhile...
just to be sure they haven't become imbalanced again.
If they do... then maybe the steel is too soft and changing form.
That would fall on the manufacturer.
But then... I haven't read much complaint of those wheels.

I'd probably go to a different shop
and get another opinion from a different tech.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota service told me that my front two were bent so put them on the back and truck rode good for awhile now same thing. Havent had truck in again but now worse. Will try recommended place in town and see what I come up with. Tires are only 1 1/2 old and drove here from NJ with no problems. (10,000 miles on them).
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
On my '09 I had the steelies and original Dunflops. No real shake, but they made a "wop wop" noise. One of the fronts wore funny, and at 30K miles I had them check them out. They claimed they showed "excessive runout" and that it was normal. That basically means they were out of round -- but they started that way if anything. I got some pull-off aluminum stock wheels and put Michelin LTX tires on and it was like a new truck.

My understanding is that a wheel is marked with a spot that shows its high spot, and a tire has a mark showing its low spot (or vice versa), and those spots should be matched to get a true spinning tire. This may be old news, though.

I think the bottom line is that with that size of tire and those stock steelies, you are going to have a hard time getting rid of a shake at speed. Those tires are a little too wide for those rims and will probably never sit exactly right. I would get some wider rims or narrower tires. But not Dunflops.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
Are the stock aluminum wheels any wider than the steelies? I know you stated you weren't sure, but if anyone knows pass it on please. The Toyota tech was insinuating the same thing as what you are saying.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the stock aluminum wheels any wider than the steelies? I know you stated you weren't sure, but if anyone knows pass it on please. The Toyota tech was insinuating the same thing as what you are saying.
Just fyi, I ran 265/75/16 BFG KMs on my stock steelies for about 40k miles and didn't have this problem ....