Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Too Big of Tire?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
SSHILEY is on a distinguished road
SSHILEY's Tacoma Gallery
Too Big of Tire?

Just bought a 10 trd sport recently. Noticed my tires rub the uca's but nothing else when turning sharp but not any other time. It does have a leveling kit in the front not sure of brand but measures around 1.25 inches ( The block between the coil and bracket?)and makes the truck sit perfect without anything done to the rear. Currently has 285/70/17 terra grapplers. What's the long term affects of rubbing your uca's and short term effects aswell? Thinking of selling them and going a bit smaller due to them being fairly new. (Have about 5000 miles on them) or would spacers prevent this? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers would prevent UCA rubbing but might get you to rub more in other areas. Your best long term solution is wheels with a different back spacing or smaller tires. What wheels are on there now?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Traction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic, Search and Rescue, Wildland Firefighting
Name: Nathan
Traction120's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers would most likely remedy this. Or wheels with at least 4.3/4.5 back spacing.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
SSHILEY's Tacoma Gallery
Just sitting on stock 17" sport rims?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Use some 1-1/4" spacers with 285s and stock wheels & you'll be good
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
SSHILEY's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet thanks ill try that
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
tears5150 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
tears5150's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers

So let me just make sure I have this right, because I'm about to drop $1,000 on new tires. The recommendation for 285/70/17 tires on stock 17" rims with an Icon Stage 2 (2.5") suspension lift is to add wheel spacers in the front to eliminate any rubbing, right? Any recommendation on the brand of spacers and where to buy them?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
SpiderTrax, Bora, & All-Pro just to name a few of the common ones.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Spacers

Thanks for clarifying. One thing I forgot to ask was whether or not wheel spacers are required for my setup if I plan to continue using the stock 17" wheels. Thoughts?

PS -- I'm assuming that two sets of spacers will be required so that the front tires don't stick out further than the rears. Right?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
NO! the only benefit to wheel spacers is to eliminate rubbing on the UCA. adding wheel spacers will increase your turning arc of your tire and cause it to hit the fender wells even worse if you do not have a lift and have it trimmed to accomodate them. Your best option is to get a wheel that has proper backspacing and offset.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tears5150 View Post
So let me just make sure I have this right, because I'm about to drop $1,000 on new tires. The recommendation for 285/70/17 tires on stock 17" rims with an Icon Stage 2 (2.5") suspension lift is to add wheel spacers in the front to eliminate any rubbing, right? Any recommendation on the brand of spacers and where to buy them?
Most people on here run Spidertrax wheels spacers and dont have any issues. Matter of fact someone was selling a used set on here about an hour ago but they might already be sold.
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. One thing I forgot to ask was whether or not wheel spacers are required for my setup if I plan to continue using the stock 17" wheels. Thoughts?

PS -- I'm assuming that two sets of spacers will be required so that the front tires don't stick out further than the rears. Right?
I would add the wheel spacers if I were you to clear the UCA's but you will most likely start rubbing on the front fender lip which is super easy to trim. A simple dremel will be able to trim everything that you need. You will also most likely need to remove the front mud flaps but thats easy. Yes get 2 sets that way the front and rear match.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
NO! the only benefit to wheel spacers is to eliminate rubbing on the UCA. adding wheel spacers will increase your turning arc of your tire and cause it to hit the fender wells even worse if you do not have a lift and have it trimmed to accomodate them. Your best option is to get a wheel that has proper backspacing and offset.
lower backspaced wheels will still increase the turning arc of the tires and potentially worsen the rubbing same as the spacers. Though, the properly sized and backpspaced wheels are a much better option that bolt on wheel spacers. In some states, (PA is one) spacers cannot be more that .25" thick to pass inspection. I had to remove mine (.75) for inspection and reinstall after passing.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
OK, so it sounds like wheel spacers are the answer. Right? A little bit of trimming is cool. What size spacers do you all recommend for what I'm about to do? Again . . . stock 17" wheels with 285/70/17 BFG A/T's.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK, so now I'm confused. Sorry everyone, but I'm not a tech wiz like most of you are. With stock 17" wheels and an Icon Stage 2 lift, I can fit 285/70/17's with no rubbing. Correct or incorrect? If that's incorrect and I purchase 1.25" wheel spacers along with everything I just mentioned, will that eliminate all rubbing (fender, UCA, etc)and will I need to put them on all 4 wheels so it doesn't look goofy?

Thanks for the response DeeKay.
With the stock 17" wheels and 285's you will need wheel spacers to clear the UCA's. But once you add the wheels spacers you will need to do minor trimming around the front fender but thats the case for all 285 tires not just your setup.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Good rule of thumb, if you're lifting 2.5+ inches in the front and using stock wheels, use spacers.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Cool. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh no... that wont eliminate ANY rubbing... you still need lots of trimming and a cab mount chop etc. thats only to stop rubbing the UCA. Just learn all the possible trims people do and then if you have to do less all the better. Every 285/70R17 is a differnt size... 285/70R17 is just a guideline and not a precise measurement. If you have tires that are big and new UCA that add caster tyo get good alignemnt specs you are looking at a lot of metal cutting.