Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

15" wheel on 2nd gen

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
15" wheel on 2nd gen

Is it possible? Been looking into picking up a set of strictly offroad tires for wheeling trips. Because the lil 2.7 is just a hair...underpowered... I wanted something skinny. So 10.50 it is.

Also wanted something tall for clearance. So..34" it is.

Turns out the only offroad tire that i would run that comes in a 34x10.50..is for a 15" rim.

15" wheels are also dirt cheap so i wouldnt mind getting em all scratched and stuff while wheeling.

Any 15" wheel that will fit without modification? Are there even any 15" wheels that will fit WITH modification? Or is 16" the smallest you can go with our brakes?

I searched and found nothing
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
DerpWerx Fab

Well. Finally found some answers... 16's it is then /thread
Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks no one got back to you but I've heard only 16"s would fit the 2nd gens.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
Sucks no one got back to you but I've heard only 16"s would fit the 2nd gens.
Well i was hoping someone has ground down the calipers and/or wheels to fit a 15 but looks like thats a negatory after googling for a few hours. Just gonna get 16's.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Well i was hoping someone has ground down the calipers and/or wheels to fit a 15 but looks like thats a negatory after googling for a few hours. Just gonna get 16's.
Yeah I would stick with 16"s if I was you cause I've heard from multiple people that 15" off-road tires are hard to come by these days.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen (2) 2nd gens with 15s on this forum, I'm sure there are more.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
With the open ended question of can 15" wheels be made to fit with modification, I would say absolutely, yes. How much modification is another story. You'd need ridiculous wheel spacers or the wheels would have to have to be made with the correct offset. Another option would be to completely redo the brakes so they clear the wheels. There's no easy, cheap and safe way to get 15's on a 6-lug 2nd gen without significant modification.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
With the open ended question of can 15" wheels be made to fit with modification, I would say absolutely, yes. How much modification is another story. You'd need ridiculous wheel spacers or the wheels would have to have to be made with the correct offset. Another option would be to completely redo the brakes so they clear the wheels. There's no easy, cheap and safe way to get 15's on a 6-lug 2nd gen without significant modification.
^ and THAT is what i needed to hear. Didnt realize it would require that much grinding/clearancing.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one, not without issues though.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...econd-gen.html
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
15s fit with a 1.5" spacer

Edit: 15x10s fit with a 1.5" spacer at least
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
How much wheeling you plan on doing with your drop kit still installed? Or is that why you left the body lift on?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
How much wheeling you plan on doing with your drop kit still installed? Or is that why you left the body lift on?
you just love to
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
it's what I do best
Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post

Just read the opening line of that thread:
"I bought a set of 15" pro comp steel wheels for my second gen. It has a 32" X 11.5 all terrain. I made them fit by adding a 1.25 spacer and grinding down on the calipers a bit. I love how it looks but I ended up busting the right caliper."

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it possible? Been looking into picking up a set of strictly offroad tires for wheeling trips. Because the lil 2.7 is just a hair...underpowered... I wanted something skinny. So 10.50 it is.

Also wanted something tall for clearance. So..34" it is.

Turns out the only offroad tire that i would run that comes in a 34x10.50..is for a 15" rim.

15" wheels are also dirt cheap so i wouldnt mind getting em all scratched and stuff while wheeling.

Any 15" wheel that will fit without modification? Are there even any 15" wheels that will fit WITH modification? Or is 16" the smallest you can go with our brakes?

I searched and found nothing
Since you have determined you are pretty much stuck with 16's there are still options close to what you want. First would be a 255/85r16 size tire. This size isn't super common but there are a few options out there. I run BFG KM2s in this size on my truck and absolutely love them. The tire works out to about 33.5 inches tall and 10 inches wide though this varies from one manufacturer to the next. Another option, though one that I would only consider for an off road only setup, is the Super Swamper LTB. The LTB is available in a 34x10.50x16, but it is a bias ply tire.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveology View Post
Since you have determined you are pretty much stuck with 16's there are still options close to what you want. First would be a 255/85r16 size tire. This size isn't super common but there are a few options out there. I run BFG KM2s in this size on my truck and absolutely love them. The tire works out to about 33.5 inches tall and 10 inches wide though this varies from one manufacturer to the next. Another option, though one that I would only consider for an off road only setup, is the Super Swamper LTB. The LTB is available in a 34x10.50x16, but it is a bias ply tire.
^ i hate the BFG's.

And yea ive already started shopping around trying to find the best price for some ltb's
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Just read the opening line of that thread:
"I bought a set of 15" pro comp steel wheels for my second gen. It has a 32" X 11.5 all terrain. I made them fit by adding a 1.25 spacer and grinding down on the calipers a bit. I love how it looks but I ended up busting the right caliper."

OP asked for exactly what I supplied in my link.

I've read the opening line. In my post, I said not without issues.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OP asked for exactly what I supplied in my link.

I've read the opening line. In my post, I said not without issues.

He wasn't criticizing you. Just shocked at what he did
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #20

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
He wasn't criticizing you. Just shocked at what he did
I see now......