Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Duratrac mpg vs Nitto Terra Grappler MPG

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Duartizzle has a spectacular aura aboutDuartizzle has a spectacular aura aboutDuartizzle has a spectacular aura about
Duartizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac mpg vs Nitto Terra Grappler MPG

So I have done a lot of searching about the differences between the two tires. I know the tread on the Duratrac is a crossbreed of A/T and M/T but comes in a c range and is a few pounds lighter than the D range Nitto Terra. I was curious if anyone knew the MPG difference if any between the two tire, I realize that the c range is lighter but due to its extreme tread nature, wondering if it got worse mpg than the d range. I am looking to buy a 265/75/16 tire.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
What size are you looking for? 265, 285...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Duartizzle has a spectacular aura aboutDuartizzle has a spectacular aura aboutDuartizzle has a spectacular aura about
Duartizzle's Tacoma Gallery
My apologies, I should have included that. Looking into a 265/75/16
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
I had Nitto Terra's first, 265/70/17 and averaged around 15-17 with about 2' of lift.

Now have Duratracs in 285/70/17 and average about 14-16 with a little over 3' of lift.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
bolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud ofbolio has much to be proud of
bolio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duartizzle View Post
So I have done a lot of searching about the differences between the two tires. I know the tread on the Duratrac is a crossbreed of A/T and M/T but comes in a c range and is a few pounds lighter than the D range Nitto Terra. I was curious if anyone knew the MPG difference if any between the two tire, I realize that the c range is lighter but due to its extreme tread nature, wondering if it got worse mpg than the d range. I am looking to buy a 265/75/16 tire.
I have Duratracs in that size and lost about 1mpg when I wore out my BFG AT's that were 265/70/16 D, even though the Duratracs are lighter by 4lbs on paper, but the tire is taller so that might be a factor also. I would guess there would be very little difference between the 2 with only 3 lbs difference and same size, but the Duratracs being more aggressive. I believe the Terra's come with a 3ply sidewall in that size compared to the 2ply dura's, and there have been reviews stating the dura's do have weaker puncture prone sidewalls. They also get some of the best reviews for snow, so it also depends what type of off roading you do. My next tire will be the Terras in that size.