1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cupping on newer truck and newer tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Utard, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    When was the last time you got an aligntment? What were the camber and toe numbers?

2. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    CrAiG

CrAiG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma889
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tacoma TRD
    Three inch spacer lift
    My experience with bad tire wear was either bad balance or alignment. Also once the tire started wearing bad I could never get it back to good wear no matter what I did. so my best advice is good balance, tire pressure, alignment, and rotation every three thousand. Just run the ones you have tell their shit.

Wish you luck!

3. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Utard

Utard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Well the guy at les swab said cupping. And the guy at discount tire said to just rotate every 3-4k.

Its basically when you rub your had across the tire front to back it grabs your hand in only one direction.

Rear to front is smooth and front to back it grabs your hand on the front edges of the tread. But it is the same for the full width of the tire.

I mean I always check my tires every month or two and rub them across the tread so i know what it fells like for bad alignment. But have never experienced it across the whole width.

So I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this? And if better aftermarket shocks could help with the problem?

4. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Utard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I mean its basically a brand new truck?:) Shouldn't need an alignment til about 50-60K?

The truck only has 17,000 miles on it.

I was just thinking with it being a sport and the heavier 10 ply tires maybe the stock shocks are just not good enough?

5. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    CrAiG

CrAiG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma889
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tacoma TRD
    Three inch spacer lift
    Just Cuz its new don't mean much buddy mine had 10,000 on it and was wear outer edge. Most tire shops will check it for free its always a good idea!
    Will also give you a good base to start trouble shoot off of.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Too high of pressure and you'll get center wear. Too low and you get wear on the edges.

Cupping is from the tire going up and down and skipping. If your shocks are real bad they can cause this especially on rough roads. If your tires are out of balance it skips down the road and cups or scallops.

Feathering is your tire dragging down the road, when your toe is out of spec. I couldn't remember the number but one site said this, "It only takes a 1/8 inch of toe misalignment to drag the front tires sideways the equivalent of 28 feet for every mile traveled"

Here's a good link.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...r-tires-can-tell-you-about-your-car-8#slide-4

Suppose you could also have problems with ball joint or wheel bearing etc but I'd suspect you'd have noticed that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  7. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Alignment can drift with milage. Subaru in fact recommends an alignment every 12k.

8. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thanks

9. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    CrAiG

CrAiG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma889
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tacoma TRD
    Three inch spacer lift
    X2 ---^ thanks

10. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Utard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the link.

Here's is what I got. I guess I just have never had this happen to tires before.

Would have been nice to have a tire guy know what the hell they are talking about? Oh well i guess its just a job for them to pay the bills?

Heel-Toe
    It Looks Like: Feathering, only the ramps run front-to-back along the tire rather than side-to-side. The leading edge of the tread blocks will be worn smooth while the trailing edge will be sharp.

The Diagnosis: "[It's] definitely one of the most common conditions we see," Rogers says. "Because it's so common, a lot of people think it's normal." Heel-toe wear is typically a symptom of insufficient tire rotation intervals. So check your car's maintenance schedule and make sure you keep up. Misalignment or worn or damaged suspension bushings, ball joints, and wheel bearings can also cause heel-toe wear.

11. Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    My duratracs have cupped since new, before lift, after lift, and with at least 5 alignments, nature of the beast, shocks are fine, it's how these trucks wear tires, my stock dunflops did the same, just more noticeable on larger tread blocks. Your over thinking it, rotate before 5000mi and you will avoid some serious noise

12. Mar 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Theres the issue.

13. Mar 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I vote toe being out. I've had 2 of these trucks, 1 lifted 1 not, 1 with e load 33" DTs 1 with 30" GYSAs, neither were bashed offroad enough for toe to be out that often. Neither held toe for shit. Anytime I ever noticed tire wear it was on drivers front and toe was out every time. Multi-year alignments are the only way to go so you can get free ones every 6 months to stay on top of it.

14. Mar 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Rotate your tires more often. We would see this a lot on commercial trucks' drive tires. The front edge wears from torque applied during acceleration. We never rotated the tires so you would get the sawtooth effect. This is also likely a function of your rapid acceleration habits.

15. Mar 29, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Utard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    The rears (power wheels) are perfect. Its only on the front.

I am going to say its a combo of heavy braking and not rotating enough.

So my solution will be to rotate more and keep braking hard.:D

16. Mar 29, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    The effect is the same under braking in the front, as you can see.

You could learn to drive better too, that might help.

17. Mar 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've been fighting the same issue for a couple years now with my 2007. It is very apparent on more aggressive tires but the stock tires seem to wear better (probably due to being a more on-road tread pattern). My alignment is good, pressures were good, shocks were new 5100's, new coils, new leaf packs and I could not eliminate the cupping. I was rotating my tires front to back every 5,000 miles and it was not enough to eliminate the issue. I finally went on the tire manufacturer's website for the tires (they were Cooper AT3's) and saw that they recommended rotating the back tires straight forward and criss crossing the fronts. I changed to that method of tire rotation, stuck to 5,000 mile intervals and it seems like the tires even out by the time they are rotated again. I know that didn't solve my issue but it does at least keep my tires wearing evenly. If you let the cupping go too far, they will start vibrating the truck at slower speeds.

18. Mar 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    It doesn't sound like cupping anymore now that he has further explained what it is. Feathering from a toe misadjustment is the best bet. Keep your pressures correct and rotate the tires like Pugga said towards the end of his post. Backs straight forward and fronts to the rear on opposite sides. That is a general rule for rwd.

19. Mar 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    A trailer is pulled ?
    how often and what's the tongue weight ?

Just sayin'
    'cause if the tongue weight squats the rear
    then that temporarily changes the toe setting when the trailer is being towed.
    This in effect, causes the toe setting to become variable. (out of spec)

Your tire pressure is set too high when towing.
    I normally run 34 psi up front, 32psi rear.
    If I'm pulling muh trailer with a loaded bed...
    the rear tires get bumped up to 34 psi. (hwy duty)

Rear tire pressure will not compensate for weight distribution.
    and if the springs are too soft... you'll have too much squat at the rear.
    You may need stiffer rear springs or maybe add overloads to compensate.

It is important to try and keep the vehicle level (F to R)
    when towing.

toe (as stated prior ^) is most culprit to tire feathering.

Look thru this link... and tell us what you see.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_wear.htm

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  20. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but I'm almost positive toe should stay the same through the range of suspension travel, except perhaps extreme angles. Otherwise you'd end up with bumpsteer.

Products Discussed in

To Top