Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cupping on newer truck and newer tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Cupping on newer truck and newer tires

So I just noticed my fronts are cupping. Its a 2012 with 17k miles and the duratracs only have 6k miles. They are 265/16 10 ply ones.

So the first place i was at said the cupping is due to poor shocks on the front. So the front is all stock. And the place i purchased the tires from said i just need to rotate/balance every 3-4k because it is a truck.

Anyone really think it could be the the shocks after 17K? I have been thinking of something with 1" lift with heavier duty springs for the front. Or should i get the dealer to deal with the shock since they are stock size wheel/rims?

I was also thinking that it could be to heavy braking? My lead foot works on both peddles. Go fast and brake hard.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
A bad balance could cause some cupping too. If it is a stock suspension issue then take it to the dealer. It's under warranty.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
Thanks for bringing the petty childness in to this ^

I was worried cause you hadn't neg repped me in over a day

That's better
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Get them balanced and see how far out of balance they were. Might try road force. I seriously doubt your shocks are bad. And it's more likely to be balance anyway IMO.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Get them balanced and see how far out of balance they were. Might try road force. I seriously doubt your shocks are bad.
Yah know i didn't even ask if they where out or not? Discount lifetime balance. Had them do it today.

But you know when you rub your hand over the tread? the back nice and smooth and the fronts rough rubbing from front to back. And it was the same for the full width. I have never really had tires do that before. Its alway one side or the other from alignment but not the full width.

It sucks because those duratracs are spendy.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
50 front 60 rear a little less if not loaded and hauling trailer

Max on the 10 ply is 80 psi
Tire pressures are way too high bud
Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
50 front 60 rear a little less if not loaded and hauling trailer

Max on the 10 ply is 80 psi
PSI might be too high. I'm running E rated Nittos and run the fronts at 36 and rears at 38
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not for when i am hauling my trailer when its 5,500 lbs.
So are you hauling your trailer all the time you drive or do you increase / decrease pressures accordingly because 50/60 psi is way too high unloaded
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Over inflation causes center tread wear not cupping.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
PSI might be too high. I'm running E rated Nittos and run the fronts at 36 and rears at 38
Just feels way too squishy that low.

Plus in spring/summer/fall I am always running at least 500-700 lbs in bed.

Cap, Rack, Pipe and lots of tools and parts in the back.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

You're sure it's not feathering?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just feels way too squishy that low.

Plus in spring/summer/fall I am always running at least 500-700 lbs in bed.

Cap, Rack, Pipe and lots of tools and parts in the back.
Have you done a chalk test on your tires with your normal driving gear on ?

I have 400-500 lbs in my truck all the time between my commercial cap and tools and my E rated tires are at 40/40psi and that's up from 36 psi
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #18

Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
So are you hauling your trailer all the time you drive or do you increase / decrease pressures accordingly because 50/60 psi is way too high unloaded
I would say its lower if i know I am not going to be hauling but i at least put the rears at 60 and may keep it there for awhile.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would say its lower if i know I am not going to be hauling but i at least put the rears at 60 and may keep it there for awhile.
Too high IMO
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Over inflation causes center tread wear not cupping.
True , but if he's altering from 60 down to something normal wouldn't you see middle wear at the lower psi ?

How would an out of balance tire cause cupping ?