Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Aftermarket Wheels and Wheel Bearing Failure -- Need Your Experience

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket Wheels and Wheel Bearing Failure -- Need Your Experience

I am new here and and just got an '09 reg. cab, 4cyl., 4WD Taco. It came with, in my opinion, the ugliest 16X7 factory steel wheels I have ever seen. Easy enough to change out.... or at least I though so.

There are lots of 16X7 and 16X8 wheels out there that would work but you have to go with radically different wheel offsets.

I found what I wanted and was just about to pull the pin and go get the wheels. But after several PM discussions I have had with another very astute member on this site I slammed on the brakes instead. The discussions surround possible early wheel bearing failure by changing the factory backspacing/offset using aftermarket wheels (also, ixna on the OEM Toyota alloys, I just don't have enough gold to purchase their aluminum (however if you have some 16X7 factory alloys and want to sell them, PM me).

Now, back to the ranch. My 16X7 factory wheels came with an unbelieveable 5.2" backspace (+32mm offset (1.25")). Frankly, the thought of changing the factory specs. and running around with a giant crowbar effect on the bearings gives me the chills. But the proof is in the pudding.

So I come to you, the experts with real world experience. Here is what I need to know from you all:

1. What wheel backspacing or offset are you running (I can figure either if I know either), and what was the OEM's wheel backspace or offset if you know it.

2. Year of your rig. I would like to hear primarily from the 2005+ folks, but 10 years back would be ok too.

3. Have you had any wheel bearing issues, and at what mileage.

If you don't mind, please don't respond in a way that says just find wheels that mimic the factory ones. This is much easier said than done, plus the tradeoff involves getting the wheel closer to the strut, and I would actually like to move it away from the strut a tad more than now, and I don't want to use spacers or modify either the suspension or drives.

To simplify this, all I am looking for is whether you have had wheel bearing issues on the Tacoma by using aftermarket wheels with backspacing/offsets different from the OEM wheels and your mileage the problem occurred or mileage without a problem.

WHEW! Thanks all.
You may also run across this post at TTORA or elsewhere as I would like to get as large of sampling as possible.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Mall Cruiser Pilot
SuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the rough

SuperD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Keep in mind that alot of factors can contribute to wheel bearing failure. Water, mud and sand can have detrimental effects on them if they are not maintained.

I will probably have some stock 17" aluminum wheels, from my TRD Sport 4x4, for sale in the next few weeks, if you are interested.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
get the hell outta here ya f'n troll!!! im sick of troll bullshit!!