Wheel Weight benefits?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
jmandeville is on a distinguished road
Army: AIt PLT SGT
Name: Justin
jmandeville's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel Weight benefits?

I know this is probably one of those topics that will start some arguments, but I was wondering if anyone had some numbers for benefits of lighter wheels. When I had my last truck I had some heavy motto metals with heavy tires totaling about 100 lbs per wheel. With my new truck Iím trying to keep it light so that I might get better fuel mileage and acceleration. So what are the opinions of those of you that have SCS F5's or Konig countersteer's? Are they worth it or should I just get some that I think look good?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same concerns as you about tire/wheel weight. With stock 16" steel rims and the grandtreks in a 245/75 16 the tire/wheel weight is 64 pounds. After a lot of research I ended up going with the scs f5 and duratracs in a 265/75 16. That tire/wheel weight is also 64 pounds. I do notice a slight power loss going over mountain passes 8000+ feet, I haven't notice a loss in mpgs. I personally like the scs wheels. The fact that they are light weight was what sealed the deal for me. Also they are hubcentric not lugcentric like most aftermarket rims so no hub rings and they balance out really easy.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
I had the same concerns as you about tire/wheel weight. With stock 16" steel rims and the grandtreks in a 245/75 16 the tire/wheel weight is 64 pounds. After a lot of research I ended up going with the scs f5 and duratracs in a 265/75 16. That tire/wheel weight is also 64 pounds. I do notice a slight power loss going over mountain passes 8000+ feet, I haven't notice a loss in mpgs. I personally like the scs wheels. The fact that they are light weight was what sealed the deal for me. Also they are hubcentric not lugcentric like most aftermarket rims so no hub rings and they balance out really easy.
So you have to use non acorn style lugs? Did you reuse the factory lugs?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I see that SCS uses hub centric as a marketing tool for the uninformed. They are lug centric with a properly sized hub hole. There is no actual advantage to any company that does the same but calls the lug centric. They all center with the acorn style lug and the hub hole could be oversized or not with no difference. Hub rings are only for use with hubcentric wheels with flat lugs and wrong sized hub hole. A non issue for 99.99% of wheel purchases.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I went up nearly 4" in tires diameter but dropped significantly in weight in the process and broke about even from mpg, etc.

My konig plus ATM combo puts me at about 58lbs per tire. It helps me a lot more than someone with a V6 since I'm pushing something like 120+ hp.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
jmandeville is on a distinguished road
Army: AIt PLT SGT
Name: Justin
jmandeville's Tacoma Gallery
So whether the wheel is hub centric or lug doesn't make a difference if you have the right lugs? This is my first non Chevy and on all of them I did not have to take this into consideration when buying wheels?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I see that SCS uses hub centric as a marketing tool for the uninformed. They are lug centric with a properly sized hub hole. There is no actual advantage to any company that does the same but calls the lug centric. They all center with the acorn style lug and the hub hole could be oversized or not with no difference. Hub rings are only for use with hubcentric wheels with flat lugs and wrong sized hub hole. A non issue for 99.99% of wheel purchases.

Where are you getting your info sir?

There is a distinct difference in hub-centric and lug-centric wheels.

Hub-centric wheels will fit only on a certain vehicle with a certain hub size and lug pattern where as lug-centric wheels are centered on the lug pattern, not on the hub size.

As for the OP's question, I had stock steelies and now have SCS F5's. The weight difference will make add a slight increase in mpgs and what not.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Chaz, are those the matte bronze Konigs? I'm diggin' em.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, sir. Matte Bronze.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
snipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the rough
snipes285's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped 5.4 lbs per wheel combo going to the Stealth 6 wheels. Definite improvement in acceleration and I saw my best mileage to date at 23mpg, (typically 20-21mpg)...