Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

285 question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
285 question

So if my truck has 5100s at 2.5, wheels with 5" backspacing/15mm offset and I do zero off-roading, will 285s work without the cab mount chop? My mud flaps are already removed and I don't mind doing a little trimming but I don't want to mess with the cab mount chop. I'll stick with 265s if that's needed.
Also, would tire size in combination with 5100s at 2.5 effect whether I would need new UCAs? Would the extra sidewall height effect that or just the lift height?
Muchas gracias
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
So if my truck has 5100s at 2.5, wheels with 5" backspacing/15mm offset and I do zero off-roading, will 285s work without the cab mount chop? My mud flaps are already removed and I don't mind doing a little trimming but I don't want to mess with the cab mount chop. I'll stick with 265s if that's needed.
Also, would tire size in combination with 5100s at 2.5 effect whether I would need new UCAs? Would the extra sidewall height effect that or just the lift height?
Muchas gracias
285 is a width. Your question cannot be answered without a height. Its like asking if you can use just a quart of paint to paint a hallway that is 6 feet wide. Tire size has zero effect on whether UCA is needed. You can always not use an UCA that adds caster and have sketchy handling. If you add it though it moves the wheel rearward and increases the likelyhood of rubbing. Also saying no wheeling implies you accept some rubbing... if you don't mind rubbing every time you enter a steep transition to a parking lot at speed with your wheel turned you could be ok with a set up others would consider unacceptable.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Blake, are you a Kiwi perchance?
No sir, I'm a Texan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
285 is a width. Your question cannot be answered without a height. Its like asking if you can use just a quart of paint to paint a hallway that is 6 feet wide. Tire size has zero effect on whether UCA is needed. You can always not use an UCA that adds caster and have sketchy handling. If you add it though it moves the wheel rearward and increases the likelyhood of rubbing. Also saying no wheeling implies you accept some rubbing... if you don't mind rubbing every time you enter a steep transition to a parking lot at speed with your wheel turned you could be ok with a set up others would consider unacceptable.
285/70-17
And this is just for looks. The only thing close to off road driving I do is the occasional dirt road. I like the looks of 285s on Tacomas but I wasn't sure if 2.5" of lift would be enough. Too bad there aren't more choices in the 275/70-17 size. That would probably be perfect.