Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

285's or 275's??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #41
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSondo90 View Post
They are already off haha, what kind of lift do you have on your truck?
I'm just running Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75 and a 1.5 AAL in the rear. I'm planning on getting OME coils, I'm just trying to decide between 884s and 885s.

If you have the little front flaps you may have to take them off. I ended up having to take mine off when I got my wheels and tires. I pulled my other flaps off as soon as I got my truck home from the dealer.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #42
TSondo90 is on a distinguished road
Name: TJ
TSondo90's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz4back View Post
I'm just running Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75 and a 1.5 AAL in the rear. I'm planning on getting OME coils, I'm just trying to decide between 884s and 885s.

If you have the little front flaps you may have to take them off. I ended up having to take mine off when I got my wheels and tires. I pulled my other flaps off as soon as I got my truck home from the dealer.

That is the lift I am on the wall about ordering, it either that or the toy tech ultimate lift. How is the ride on the 1.75, I heard when they are set to 2.5 it gets shaky on the highway.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #43
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
That is the lift I am on the wall about ordering, it either that or the toy tech ultimate lift. How is the ride on the 1.75, I heard when they are set to 2.5 it gets shaky on the highway.

I like the ride. It's a little stiffer than stock, but not in a bad way. Less body roll and nosedive when braking, but not harsh on bumps. I don't think I would run them at 2.5, the ride would be way too stiff.

If I knew that I could get away without new UCAs I'd order the 885s today. I'm still trying to decide if $550-$600 (if I ended up needing UCAs) is worth gaining an extra 3/4 of an inch of lift.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #44
Quote:
I like the ride. It's a little stiffer than stock, but not in a bad way. Less body roll and nosedive when braking, but not harsh on bumps. I don't think I would run them at 2.5, the ride would be way too stiff.

If I knew that I could get away without new UCAs I'd order the 885s today. I'm still trying to decide if $550-$600 (if I ended up needing UCAs) is worth gaining an extra 3/4 of an inch of lift.
Now what are the 885's if you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
Quote:
Now what are the 885's if you don't mind me asking.
Old Man Emu coil springs. The 885 coils give 2.5-3 inches of lift depending on your truck. I'd get around 2.5 because I have a double cab 4x4. The 884 coils will give between 2 and 2.5 inches depending on the truck. I'd end up with 2 if I went with them. 2.5 inches is borderline as to whether you can get a good alignment with your stock UCAs.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #46
So If i got the 5100 lift with those springs would that be a good combo?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #47
Quote:
So If i got the 5100 lift with those springs would that be a good combo?
It depends on how much lift you are wanting. If 1.75" is enough the bilsteins are the way to go. If you are wanting a little more lift I'd go with the OME setup with their coils paired with their shocks. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

I think most of the guys running Billies with OME coils did like me and got the Bilsteins first and decided later that they wanted more lift. I paid right around $300 for Front and rear Bilsteins and another 100 or so for the AAL. The OME Coils are around $180 so its a little cheaper to set it up that way than to buy the full OME Kit. You may end up needing a top plate spacer for the driver side lean which would be another $25. If you got the OME kit in the link it comes with the trim packer that you put on the driver side coil seat(it only works with their shocks) to fix the lean.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Now go wheel it, or even hit a bump at a good speed with the wheels turned, you will have some triming to do. Tried full lock in reverse yet?
No wheeling yet...tacos still too new...There might be more than 1/2" clearance at turn...it was just a guesstimate cause the flaps were still on at the time...Ill report back with pics when my new tires are installed and flaps off or trimmed with a more accurate measurement...Ill also check the full lock in reverse too I know my old taco did rub doing this...
Attached Thumbnails
285's or 275's??-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #49
Quote:
It depends on how much lift you are wanting. If 1.75" is enough the bilsteins are the way to go. If you are wanting a little more lift I'd go with the OME setup with their coils paired with their shocks. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

I think most of the guys running Billies with OME coils did like me and got the Bilsteins first and decided later that they wanted more lift. I paid right around $300 for Front and rear Bilsteins and another 100 or so for the AAL. The OME Coils are around $180 so its a little cheaper to set it up that way than to buy the full OME Kit. You may end up needing a top plate spacer for the driver side lean which would be another $25. If you got the OME kit in the link it comes with the trim packer that you put on the driver side coil seat(it only works with their shocks) to fix the lean.
I would love to be about 2.5- 3 inch on a lift no spacers.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
Quote:
The OME lift in the link with the 885 coils will put you in that range without having to use the top plate spacers. I'd stick to the full OME if you are going to do it all at once. Their shocks are designed to work specifically with their springs and it comes with the trim packer to correct the driver side lean.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #51
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I wish there were more choices in 275 for 16" wheels.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
^+1

Brett, I think I will end up going with the OME set up. And the 265/75 16 tires on the F-5's
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #53
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Nice ride btw!

OP & Raz4Back - Thanks for this thread. Been a big help with me as well as i look at deciding on upcoming options.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #54
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
When you go up in size its hard to avoid added weight, its just something to consider when looking at your different options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
4.5 bs will definitely stick out and give that wide/aggressive stance you are looking for
Quote:
I did at 3"

Quote:
Quote:
The OME lift in the link with the 885 coils will put you in that range without having to use the top plate spacers. I'd stick to the full OME if you are going to do it all at once. Their shocks are designed to work specifically with their springs and it comes with the trim packer to correct the driver side lean.
My '11 4Banger AC with 885s & Dakars got 3" before trail armor (I added 1/4" spacers after adding sliders & a full set of skids).
255/85/16 BFGs (33.3") on 1st Gen TRDs (4.5" BS)

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #55
linzertorte is on a distinguished road
Name: Lilo
linzertorte's Tacoma Gallery
1.75" lift w/ 275/70/17's?

If I set my Bilstein 5100s at 1.75" and put BFG 275/70/17s on my stock 17" wheels, any gearheads foresee any issues?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzertorte View Post
If I set my Bilstein 5100s at 1.75" and put BFG 275/70/17s on my stock 17" wheels, any gearheads foresee any issues?
I say you should be good to go but I wouldn't consider myself a "gearhead"
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #57
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check to see if the tire rubs on the upper control arm on the backside of the tire. Theres a chance it does, but it may not. If it does it would only rub at full turn.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #58
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I run 275/70/17 Hankook ATm's on stock Sport alloys , no rub

2 1/2" front lift for me , and LR UCA's
Old 04-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #59
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the BFG ATs at 275 are load E tires just FYI
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #60
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
I believe the BFG ATs at 275 are load E tires just FYI
So are mine