View Poll Results: which tires is best
duratracs 38 30.65%
all terrains 62 50.00%
mud terrains 24 19.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #41
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If offroad performance is the priority, don't even bother with anything that's not an MT.

If that's down the list a ways, just pick whatever you like the look of most.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
After getting an excellent review and recommendation from Spoonman, I'm going with Kelly Safari TSR.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #43
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
All terrains....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #44
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Right now Im pretty set on the ATs. Im going 285 though for sure.
In that size, out of the three I would also go with the BFG AT tires, only because the other 2 are only available in E load rating, the AT KO is available in D and E. And surprisingly, according to the specs on tirerack, the E load is actually slightly lighter and taller than the D.

I'm in the same boat and am having a hard time deciding between the BFG AT and duratracs, but also deciding between 265 or 285.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #45
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I was looking up the specs on the bfgs vs the duratracs and the bfgs are 6lb heavier than the duratracs. Im leaning towards the duratracs for sure now.
Yeah, having sidewalls that won't puncture if you poke them with your finger will add a bit of weight to a tire.

Lighter weight tire means less rubber. the weight can be a problem for fuel economy and acceleration etc, but if you need something durable then weight is less important.

If your truck is a pavememt pounder Duractracs will be fine for a while. If you offroad it you'd be better off with another choice. And even if it is just on the road you'll still get longer life out of either the BFG AT or the KM2 than you will out of a Duratrac.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #46
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Yeah, having sidewalls that won't puncture if you poke them with your finger will add a bit of weight to a tire.

Lighter weight tire means less rubber. the weight can be a problem for fuel economy and acceleration etc, but if you need something durable then weight is less important.

If your truck is a pavememt pounder Duractracs will be fine for a while. If you offroad it you'd be better off with another choice. And even if it is just on the road you'll still get longer life out of either the BFG AT or the KM2 than you will out of a Duratrac.
I take it you have had some bad luck with duratracs. They havent let me down yet on my truck and have ben offroading through some crazy shit but I guess its all in how hard you go and what you take on. People swear by them here on the east coast and all the park rangers run them on their vehicles. Some people have had really good luck with them and some others think of them as shit. I got some mixed reviews from the bfg all terrains also. I really like the goodyear mtr's but I want longevity out of my tires. Im just looking for a really good all round tire for snow, mud, rocks and traction in the rain.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #47
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
what about the cooper st maxx?
what about the dick cepek fun country 2?
what about the mickey thompson baja atz?

there's a lot of other options out there beyond the duratracs and bfg at tires, dare i say better options...?! these tires will certainly handle better on the street also.. anyway some food for thought.

a couple pounds may save your sidewalls from getting cut on a trail somewhere really inconvenient..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #48
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
What Spoonman told me.

That's a difficult decision. My Kelly's were awesome. Great in winter and very little road noise. They were great on rocks as well. I would absolutely get them again, but the thin I like about the MTRs is the Kevlar reinforce sidewalls. I never punctured a Kelly tire, but I like the idea of the beefy sidewalls . The MTRs suck ass ok ice too. The Kelly's were great. And the price was amazing for them. I almost got them in a 35". But always likes the MTR and wanted to try them.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
Taco Forum Noob
7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed7six2Fan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
7six2Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Love my Nitto M/T's! They ride pretty quiet, and they have handled nicely in rain and mud so far. I haven't headed home to snow country yet with them, so I couldn't say. Gas mileage sucks a little bit, but I expected it to.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #50
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running All Terrains on both my Tacoma and Tahoe and love them. I'm on second set on the Tacoma, I had over 45,000 on the 32's before swapping them out with half tread for a set of 33's. No road noise, wear is incredible and they do an excellent job on sand. Mud is a problem, but I never am in mud to worry about it.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #51
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
At all the way
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #52
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs. all the way

they kick ass at everything snow mud, wet roads, ice. people say they have a weaker side wall ive never head any issues. mine have about 15,000 miles.. hardly any tread wear... ive never ran the BFG's AT's but thats my vote on it.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Based on my research people only complain about the weak sidewalls of the goodyears duratracs but the people that complain about them seem to be running them on a full size truck. They are also lighter than the all terrains but the all terrains have a thicker sidewall but they are a heavier tire so help me make up my mind
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #54
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
All terrains. MUDs aren't near as good in snow. All terrains last longer, clean out relatively well, and last a very long time.
x2
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
i wouldnt downgrade to AT's. my nittos are AT's and i certainly want something more meaty. a duratrac/safari type tire is great because its a happy medium of off road performance and on road manners. finding on road manners in an MT is hard especially if the truck is your DD.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #56
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the bfgs for sure, you keep talking about the weigh difference between the duracraps and bfgs. Are you looking at both tires at a 10 ply stand point or just different variations ? More plys equals more steel belts that equals more weight . I have E rated bfgs and I think 10 ply is a little over kill.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #57
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If offroad performance is the priority, don't even bother with anything that's not an MT.

If that's down the list a ways, just pick whatever you like the look of most.
Only if you drive on mud...the MT are terrible on sand and snow. I live off the paved road in the national forest and it is studded snows in the winter, AT in the summer, and MT for the vehicles that live in the woods.

Howard
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #58
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Matt, here's another vote for BFG AT's. In Washington state, I've run them in snow, slush and sand with zero complaints. In Texas I'm mainly freeway, streets and hard-pack dirt with no issues. I don't mud so I can't comment there. Zero problems balancing, zero problems with abnormal wear or punctures. Decently quiet on the road, too.

I can't talk down the others as I haven't used them, but I'll be putting AT's on again.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #59
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I love this thread because I have the same dilemma right now. Trying to choose between the 3 tires. I have only run the BFs out of the three and from what I have gathered from many people
-
Duratracs
- look bigger then another tire same size
-Great in snow/rain/everything
-some say sidewall is weak
-about 4% lighter then the BFss

BFG ATs
-great all around weather. I slipped on ice a couple times but what tire doesnt
-not too heavy in 56lbs for D rated 285s
-Look great
-I found them easy to drive on the road with and never had noise or comfort problems
-usually the best for wear

MTs
-Obviously the best offroad
-Makes your truck look like a tank
-crazy good wear life
-bad in snow
-apparently noisy and not good ride quality
-VERY heavy for our small trucks to be running all the time IMO

Right now I run the 285/70/17 dueler revo 2s and love them for the road, and they seem to work well off road as well. Have not really tested them TOO hard yet, but I intend to soon. I got the 46lbs P rated tires and the have great road quality, and have better weight restrictions of the 265 BFGs I have before. I just am like a woman with tires and get bored every year and want another set