View Poll Results: which tires is best
duratracs 38 30.65%
all terrains 62 50.00%
mud terrains 24 19.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
3 tires options, which one is best

So I recently purchased scs stealth 6 wheels for my truck. Now Im looking at tire options.
Help me decide on which tires to buy, I currently have duratracs now but looking to go to 285s. I do off-road at least once a month. I like the bf goodrich tires simply because I like the look of the white letters with the rims. I love my duratracs that but they were a bitch to get balanced.Where I live we do see snow quite a bit so what tire would you
choose?

the wheels and tires will be going on this truck

duratracs

all terrains

Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
All terrains. MUDs aren't near as good in snow. All terrains last longer, clean out relatively well, and last a very long time.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Duratracs, they worked well on the road, and dry offroad, but were lacking in the rain and mud.
I haven't used BF Goodrich's tires, but I'm sold on Cooper ST Maxx. They outperform the Duratracs in everything but cornering. I realize it's because of the tread design, and don't mind it. They worked very well offroad in snow and light mud, and surprised me as to how well they did on ice. They are a heavier tire than the Duratracs, and lose 1 MPG.
If the Coopers last, I'll buy another set.

Cooper ST Maxx:
Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
All terrains. MUDs aren't near as good in snow. All terrains last longer, clean out relatively well, and last a very long time.
This. I've been running BFG ATs for 2 1/2 years. First set was on my last truck. Good in snow, rain, and mud. MTs are good for just mud unless that's what you're looking for.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
This. I've been running BFG ATs for 2 1/2 years. First set was on my last truck. Good in snow, rain, and mud. MTs are good for just mud unless that's what you're looking for.
Im looking for something that can get me through mild obstacles and the snow when needed. I just like the look of a meaty aggressive tire to.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #6

Another thing I noticed was the weight difference in tires, my 265/75/16 duratracs are 45lbs and the 285s are 54lbs. Then the alls and mud terrains are close to 60lbs
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Im looking for something that can get me through mild obstacles and the snow when needed. I just like the look of a meaty aggressive tire to.
ATs will do that. Out of the 3, it's the least beefy, but would still look good on your truck. ATs only don't look beefy when they're almost bald. If the look is what you're going for, I would say the MTs just because of the quality, but your mpg and ride will suffer.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Another thing I noticed was the weight difference in tires, my 265/75/16 duratracs are 45lbs and the 285s are 54lbs. Then the alls and mud terrains are close to 60lbs
I have 285s on mine. I switch from a 265 mud tire to the 285 ATs. My mileage stayed the same. So if you're staying with 265, ATs shouldn't hurt your mileage.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I had BFG A/Ts for just over 3 years, I put over 30K on them and they still had at LEAST 40% of tread left(changed tires). Bear in mind i had 265/75/16, but the bigger version should do just as well. As far as weight, well you add more tread so the weight of the tire will increase. Gotta pay to play.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I have 285s on mine. I switch from a 265 mud tire to the 285 ATs. My mileage stayed the same. So if you're staying with 265, ATs shouldn't hurt your mileage.
Right now Im pretty set on the ATs. Im going 285 though for sure.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Right now Im pretty set on the ATs. Im going 285 though for sure.
Then definitely do the ATs. IMO anyway. MTs would be my favorite if the ride wasn't more rough and I was rich enough to pay for gas all the time.

EDIT: Stay AT if going 285. Unless you offroad your truck 80% of your driving time
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Then definitely do the ATs. IMO anyway. MTs would be my favorite if the ride wasn't more rough and I was rich enough to pay for gas all the time.
Im gonna miss my duratracs though. One of the best tires I have ever run in the snow, just issues with balancing
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Im gonna miss my duratracs though. One of the best tires I have ever run in the snow, just issues with balancing
Yeah, they are pretty good for snow. I'm sure the ATs will impress you too.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You'll hate the MT's for snow/wet conditions......I voted duratracs considering your situation!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There are a ton of threads out there on this topic and everyone has a different opinion. It comes down to these things

what is your climate like? I live in Phx and its dry and hot here, this plays a big role in the tires
longetivity. Both my Toyo OCs and Nittos suffered here.

What kind of off road driving do you do? Due to AZ having a lot of rock and sand mixed with the heat ive found tires to get shredded much easier. My Nitto MTs are chunking due to our conditions.

Basically what im saying is do some more homework, due specific research with members and articles that deal with your climate and driving style. Everyone on here that comments will be correct with their comments because they are based off of the way they drive and where they live. Ive personally learned that guys on the east cost have no issues with Nitto, where Southwest guys like me have similar experience.

There is a ton of articles out there and threads in different forums. Due your homework, these tires arent cheap.... just my 2 cents
Not all name brands are the way to go either. I have personally narrowed my choices and Cooper has me very impressed.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
I had the Duratracs, they worked well on the road, and dry offroad, but were lacking in the rain and mud.
I haven't used BF Goodrich's tires, but I'm sold on Cooper ST Maxx. They outperform the Duratracs in everything but cornering. I realize it's because of the tread design, and don't mind it. They worked very well offroad in snow and light mud, and surprised me as to how well they did on ice. They are a heavier tire than the Duratracs, and lose 1 MPG.
If the Coopers last, I'll buy another set.

Cooper ST Maxx:
This. Awesome tire
Old 04-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #17
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say one of the best tire is the GoodYear MTR. They are by far better on the road/wet road, than any AT tire I ever owned. Yeah, not so good on ice, but no tire really is.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
I'd say one of the best tire is the GoodYear MTR. They are by far better on the road/wet road, than any AT tire I ever owned. Yeah, not so good on ice, but no tire really is.
The goodyear mtrs are only good for about 25k I heard
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The goodyear mtrs are only good for about 25k I heard
I guess depending on how you drive them. I got somewhere in the 30-40K range.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I personally prefer AT style tires and just put a set of Cooper AT3 on the Taco, now the 68 Dodge has a set of knobby MUDSTAR Radial MT on the back and the M37 Military Power Wagon has Coop Grip-Spurs in the 900x16 8 ply all way around. The power wagon hasn't got stuck yet, it might spin a bit on a very muddy hillside, but it will eventually dig down to solid ground and keep on going.

Howard