Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Ideas/Recommendations Needed - Fitting 33" Tire in Factory Spare Location

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Ideas/Recommendations Needed - Fitting 33" Tire in Factory Spare Location

I know this can be done, because after cutting my factory spare tire positioning legs off my truck, my 33" tire fit, just barely... It is very close if not touching the exhaust, wondering what the best plan of action is? What have others done, and can you share some pictures?

Right now I am thinking about chopping the exhaust right after the rear axel so it goes up and over, and then dumps straight down, then the bend to go out the side wont be there and wont touch the tire.

I am also considering taking one of the factory ears that I cut off and getting my friend to weld it back on in a new spot so that it positions the tire so that the diff doesnt hit it.

Thoughts? Other Ideas?

Getting a tire carrier for the bed or a tail gate mount or rear bumper mount are not an option, not having the spare is also not an option. I need to have a spare and I need to have it in the stock position or at-least someplace out of the way (ie under the truck).

My current set up:

I am not driving the truck right now, I have my summer car out, and I dont want the hot exhaust to pop the tire... Dont think that is very likely, but not worth the risk at the moment.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
By all means chop the exhaust. Still not sure why alternate location is not an option. You cant wheel with a 33" tire down there... it drags and will be punctured eventually.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
By all means chop the exhaust. Still not sure why alternate location is not an option. You cant wheel with a 33" tire down there... it drags and will be punctured eventually.
Cost makes a bumper carrier not an option (because I would need a new bumper too), and I use my bed for hauling more often than wheeling so that makes a bed tire carrier a bad idea, and I need my spare because I use this as my daily driver for 6+ months of the year.

If there is a super cheap alternate location method that does not kill my bed space then I would be up for that too.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Cant you just pull the tire out the bed when you need to use the bed? Tire Gate makes a flush/flat spare tire mount for your bed that will allow you to remove the tire and have NOTHING sticking up above your bed mat with tire removed. Thats my next addition once I get my armor done. I will just remove my tire for the times I need to haul stuff in the bed. Its WAY cheaper than a full tire gate and I keep my reverse camera too.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Cant you just pull the tire out the bed when you need to use the bed? Tire Gate makes a flush/flat spare tire mount for your bed that will allow you to remove the tire and have NOTHING sticking up above your bed mat with tire removed. Thats my next addition once I get my armor done. I will just remove my tire for the times I need to haul stuff in the bed. Its WAY cheaper than a full tire gate and I keep my reverse camera too.
If I need the tire while I am hauling then I am stuck, but it isnt a bad idea, I will look at the tire gate flush mount.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Yes but if you wheel you will destroy a 285 width 33" tire in the factory location. A spare with a tear in the sidewall is just as worthless as a spare sitting at home. For now just chop the exhaust. Perhaps put the spare back under the truck when you haul stuff?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Yes but if you wheel you will destroy a 285 width 33" tire in the factory location. A spare with a tear in the sidewall is just as worthless as a spare sitting at home. For now just chop the exhaust. Perhaps put the spare back under the truck when you haul stuff?
Yeah when I wheel I will put it in the bed, no issue there. I will likely cut the exhaust this week, and see how it does.

I am going to look for a swinging tail gate tire carrier at the junk yards and see if I can make that into m summer project to fit it to my truck for $100 or less. I think that would be ideal until I can get a proper bumper and carrier.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
ill be fitting mine this weekend and chopping the exhaust if i have any down time on duty