Notices

96 Tacoma - Gearshift Wiggle

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Newby is on a distinguished road
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
96 Tacoma - Gearshift Wiggle

Hello,

I just bought a 96 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 with 262xxx miles. It's automatic. The Gearshift is wiggle or not engage or not firm when I shift it to the R, D, 2, etc. The Gearshift is still wiggle or not engage even I shift it to the D drive. The truck runs good but I just don't like the way it wiggles or not engage like that. Is it the Shift Lock Control ECU or Shift Lock Control Switch or Shift Lock Solenoid? Do you have any idea why? Does anything wrong with it? I need your help please.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I need your help, guys. Any of you have any idea?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by "is wiggle"? Can you be more specific? Right now, all I can think of is the trans and t-case mounts being shot...

Also, should this topic be in the tech discussion section instead of wheel and tires?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
What do you mean by "is wiggle"? Can you be more specific? Right now, all I can think of is the trans and t-case mounts being shot...

Also, should this topic be in the tech discussion section instead of wheel and tires?
I dough that the plastic button which connects the Gearshift to the top of the Tranny is broken down after I did a lot of searching. How can I replace it? By chance, do you have the Repair Manual to share for me?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have a picture of the button you are talking about?
I don't have now but I'll try to take it and post here as soon as I can.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry. I got the picture but I don't know how to load it to post here. So let me try to tell you once. I called it Gearshift, but, actually, may be it's the Shift Lock Selector or Transmission Shift Lever. It's the one that you shift it to the P=Parking, R=Return, D=Drive, etc. It's wiggle or jiggle when you shift it to any of those letter, like P, R, D, L.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
I'm sorry. I got the picture but I don't know how to load it to post here. So let me try to tell you once. I called it Gearshift, but, actually, may be it's the Shift Lock Selector or Transmission Shift Lever. It's the one that you shift it to the P=Parking, R=Return, D=Drive, etc. It's wiggle or jiggle when you shift it to any of those letter, like P, R, D, L.
Do you have a photobucket account? That would be the easiest way to upload pictures. I'm not sure I can help because I've never owned an automatic transmission but I'll give it a try.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have a photobucket account? That would be the easiest way to upload pictures. I'm not sure I can help because I've never owned an automatic transmission but I'll give it a try.

I don't have an account at the Photobucket, but I'll try to create one as soon as possible.

I took the truck to a mechanic to look at it yesterday evening and he told me the problem is the Gear Shift Lever Bushing. He showed me how to replace it but I didn't have the Bushing with me. Auto Parts don't carry it, so I just went to order it at the Dealer this morning. I'll get it on next Tuesday. I'll be back here to let you all know.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
After I finished replacing the Gear Shift Lever Bushing and it solved the problem.