liferider's Tacoma Gallery
which tires

trying to decide on tires
I think I have it narrowed down to three choices

Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar
Duratracs
Hankook dynapro MT

looking a 265/75/r16 if I stay on the stock trds
or a 265/75/r17 (if I drop coin on the METHOD NVs that I really want)
type of driving will be on road 70% an off road 30% no hardcore rocks climbing in future. would love to do some overland stuff in the next few years.
I live in the Northwest so a lot of wet roads, a little snow and some dry pavement.
Also will having the MTs Sipped help with the traction in the wet
I like the look of the MT's over the AT's

thanks,
C
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You will be happiest with the Duratracs I think. They will wear better and be less noisy.

Yes, siping the MTs will aid traction in the wet, but not likely as well as an AT tire such as the Duratracs.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
You will be happiest with the Duratracs I think. They will wear better and be less noisy.

Yes, siping the MTs will aid traction in the wet, but not likely as well as an AT tire such as the Duratracs.
100% this

if you're not gonna do much "hard" stuff, AT's would be best

they get better MPGs, are way quieter, and still look pretty mean
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
A/T

siped or not, the muds have larger voids between the tread blocks which leads to a smaller contact patch compared to an A/T of the same size.

Thats the nature of the beast.......Muds have large voids for cleaning themselves.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
CBR1000RR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CBR1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
Get the duratracs you will be way happier with them and they still look almost like a mud terrain. When I'm in the market for new tires and a lift (hopefully very soon) I will be getting these tires.