P vs LT rated tires?

View Poll Results: P or LT rated tires.
P 206 42.47%
LT 279 57.53%
Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
p rated are Passenger and LT is Light truck tires. LTs are heavier but are tougher. Ps arent available in real aggressive tread and arent meant to leave the pavement. LTs have stiffer sidewalls and can old more weight and are made of tougher materials, can be aired down and resist punctures or sidewall damage.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
Load range "E"s baby!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
You can get some P rated tires in an Extra Load, they will handle a little more weight than the normal P rated tires. Also if you're looking for treadlife warranty, sometimes with the same size/brand tire, the P rated have 10k more miles on the warranty than the LT. You just have to decide for yourself what the important features are to you.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter379 View Post
What exactly is the difference?

A lot of time its an extra ply under the tread , a p-metric will often go to 36 max for this reason and a lt will go to 51 psi. Its harsh ride for 1 more ply or smoother ride for 1 less ply
Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
Tillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shedTillers_Rule is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Former Seargent
Name: Jeff
Tillers_Rule's Tacoma Gallery
My truck came with P's and the tread was toast at 25K miles. Threw on some LT's and still had half the tread at 25K (replaced them with a larger size). That wear could be dependent on a number of factors but for the purpose of this thread I'll blame it on the rating
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
^^^what was the difference in tread depth between the two? The rugged trails are pmetric but only have 10/32's td while the same size bfg all terrain in the Lt has 16/32's. So of course the all terrain is gonna last longer.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #29
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
The bfg all terrains in Lt 265/70r16 are 12lbs heavier per tire than the rugged trails that come stock. Will that extra weight be very noticeable? I wonder how badly it'll affect my mpg and braking power?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
E rated LT tires. 265/75R-16 Yokohama Geolandar AT-S
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #33
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I have had E rated tires in the past on my old truck and that is what I will replace my shitty factory tires with. I don't care how they ride, it's a truck. I care about shredding them when I'm out hunting. I've never had a flat with E rated tires.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT/2, LT 265/75/16, ride is more firm than stock dunlops, but hey Tacoma=truck.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #36
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
P265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM's. Great tire and have had them offroad three times since I've gotten them. They hold up well and don't have all the extra weight to bog down the 4 cylinder.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #37
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
I have Ps now but am going to LTs
Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #38
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/17 LT E rated Hankook Dynapro MT's

I like em .
Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #39
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
P-rated Hankook dynapros are about $35 cheaper per tire than the LT tires, and the jump was from P-rated to E-load, at least at my tire place. If there were C-rated or D-rated Hankooks I might have gone LT but I went with the P. We don't have trails around here, and I mainly wanted the tire for looks, help with highway snow in the winter and the occassional washed out gravel road or flooded low-crossing when hunting. The Hankooks take up to 44 lbs of pressure so I suppose they're a litte tougher than the average P-rated tire anyway.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #40
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
I have had E rated tires in the past on my old truck and that is what I will replace my shitty factory tires with. I don't care how they ride, it's a truck. I care about shredding them when I'm out hunting. I've never had a flat with E rated tires.
I replaced the stock rugged trails at 15,000 miles with e rated bfg a/t's 265/75/16 and couldn't be happier. The truck handles alot better around corners and the "bone jarring" I've read about is a non issue. The ride is a bit rougher but not that noticable. I've gone through a few sets of these tires over the years and have never had a flat... In the short time I had the stock p-rated tires I had 2 flats.