Notices

P vs LT rated tires?

View Poll Results: P or LT rated tires.
P 206 42.83%
LT 275 57.17%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #41
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATm P265/75-16. The truck isn't hauling heavy loads all the time and Toyota puts a P rated tire on them... No reason to go to a stiffer, heavier, more expensive LT tire for me. Also, the P tire sidewall is 2 ply, not 1 ply as stated earlier in this thread. I had the Cooper Discoverer STT 3 ply tire on my 2005, and while it was the best looking tire, it was the worst performer in sand (bury you) and highway (LOUD)... but good in mud, naturally.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #42
larry2375 is on a distinguished road

larry2375's Tacoma Gallery
Got some p285/70 17" nitto terra grapplers, which replaced c rated 265/70 17" bfgoodrich ta k/o's. The bfg's looked mOre aggressive but I wanted the higher lift, I didn't want to go with e rated 285/70 17" terra grapplers. Those would have been 10lbs more per tire which would be 40lbs total.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #43
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I had D rated Duratracs put on a week ago and the truck rides like shit - rough and loud. Having them replaced with P rated BFG Rugged Terrains - new tire supposed to have a nice ride with light off road capability. They are getting put on today, downside is they aren't going to look nearly as cool. The Duratrac is a nice looking tire. I also had a 3" OME lift put on so maybe that effected the ride quality as well?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #44
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
I had D rated Duratracs put on a week ago and the truck rides like shit - rough and loud. Having them replaced with P rated BFG Rugged Terrains - new tire supposed to have a nice ride with light off road capability. They are getting put on today, downside is they aren't going to look nearly as cool. The Duratrac is a nice looking tire. I also had a 3" OME lift put on so maybe that effected the ride quality as well?
It's a night and day difference between the D rated Duratracs and P rated Rugged Terrains. The ride has improved greatly. No more rough ass bouncing when I hit bumps and they are much quieter.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #45
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Was looking on tirerack.com.
The pic for the 265/70/16 rugged terrains shows a size of lt265/75/16
If I order those, how do I make sure I get the p rated ones?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #46
Master Toyota Certified Technician
red yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to beholdred yoda is a splendid one to behold

Name: brandon
red yoda's Tacoma Gallery
LT goodyear druatracs
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #47
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
GoodYear Wrangler SR/A P265/70R17. I hope to upgrade to Dick Cepek wheels and BFG AT KM2's within the next year.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #48
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
LT if you like having a truck, P if you prefer driving a car or mall crawling
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #49
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
P rated Revo 2's. I likem.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #50
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 11-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #52
jms83 is on a distinguished road
jms83's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 285/70/17 duratrac's installed 2 weeks ago, load range D and I agree with thedude, harsh noisy ride. I'm mostly attributing it to the tread design of the tires though, 40psi front, 36 rear. Any less psi and they feel mushy.

Bought em for glorified winter tires, now seriously thinking of dumping them and dropping back to at most a C range tire, terra grapplers most likely, possibly Cooper zeons. 265/70r18 if I can. Hopefully get back some mpg with lighter tires too.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #53
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
That's a bit over simplified
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #54
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I don't think our trucks should have ever come with p rated tires from the factory. Like mentioned...it's a truck, not a car. I know in my experience getting rid of the P rated and going to LT rated made a big difference. I know load range E 10 ply is overkill for the weight of these trucks but I sure like the way it handles now...no more feeling like it's leaning into the turns now. For offroad as long as I air done a bit the ride isn't bad and with the extra strength of the tires the chances of getting a flat are minimal.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #55
North Georgia Member
TacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoXtreme's Tacoma Gallery
LT 265/75/16 Cooper ST's Load range E
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #56
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
Right...

P rated Cooper AT3's in 265/70R17 and I use my truck as a truck. They handle weight just fine. P-Rated tires, not just for mall crawling anymore
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #57
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Personally, I don't think our trucks should have ever come with p rated tires from the factory. Like mentioned...it's a truck, not a car. I know in my experience getting rid of the P rated and going to LT rated made a big difference. I know load range E 10 ply is overkill for the weight of these trucks but I sure like the way it handles now...no more feeling like it's leaning into the turns now. For offroad as long as I air done a bit the ride isn't bad and with the extra strength of the tires the chances of getting a flat are minimal.
All true , except not every Tacoma owner offroads their truck , and you can still haul and tow the vehicle's limit on P rated tires .
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #58
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
All true , except not every Tacoma offroads their truck , and you can still haul and tow the vehicle's limit on P rated tires .
x2. I think everyone has a bad opinion of P-rated tires because the stock P-rated Dunflops are crap. Most other P-rated tires are more than adequate. I tow and haul frequently and they are not 'squishy' feeling at all and they do not roll in corners. I don't off road and don't need the heavy sidewall and even though I know it's a truck, but it's a mid-sized pickup, there's no reason for it to ride like a dump truck in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #59
North Georgia Member
TacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoXtreme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I don't off road and don't need the heavy sidewall and even though I know it's a truck, but it's a mid-sized pickup, there's no reason for it to ride like a dump truck in my opinion.
its just all in what you use it for. to each his own. i have the E load ST's and to me it seems to ride better on a load thn p rated tires. but they still ride good without one as well. I just like to be able to throw on my skid steer trailer and 4 atv's and have no question in my mind that itll hold up and ride good.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #60

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoXtreme View Post
its just all in what you use it for.
Exactly