P vs LT rated tires?

View Poll Results: P or LT rated tires.
P 206 42.83%
LT 275 57.17%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #81
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
P rated 265/70R16 General Grabber AT2. Little to no road noise, great in heavy rain, and with the small amount of snow we have received this year, they seem to work well on both snow and ice.

Frank
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #82
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Will LT's have a noticably harsher ride than P rated tires of the same size and brand?
i went from the 265/70R16 rugged fails to LT265/75R16 load E nittos terra and i like the ride much much more than i did when i had the rugged fails. only thing i would change is go down to D load rang, but when i got tires it was going to take a few weeks for discount to get load D so i went with load E.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #84
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles you got on them and how is tread wearing. Those were on my list for Sequoia but ended up pony'n the cash for LTX.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #85
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
I put on P rated Hankook ATM 265/75r16's in January. Performed awesome in the snow, road noise is nominal, and fuel is much better (but i am coming from 33" M/T's) so it is night and day. I spend 90% of time on road so LT wasn't really necessary for me.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #86
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
P rated tires? Why even have a truck then? P rated tires are for cars.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #87
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
P rated tires? Why even have a truck then? P rated tires are for cars.
Because most LT rated tires are rated (when multiplied by all four tires) for more than twice the amount of the gross vehicle weight rating of the Tacoma. I.e. overkill in most situations.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #88
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If all you do is drive on road and tow... I guess I could see it. If you drive off road at ALL the LT is pretty much a necessity. Air down a P rated tire and drive in sharp rocks you get a flat. Drive at speed and hit a rock... blow a sidewall. Been there done that.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #89
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
E rated. I like them overall. Unless I need to air down... Then they aren't very helpful
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #90
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
If all you do is drive on road and tow... I guess I could see it. If you drive off road at ALL the LT is pretty much a necessity. Air down a P rated tire and drive in sharp rocks you get a flat. Drive at speed and hit a rock... blow a sidewall. Been there done that.
I can honestly tell you that if you run graded dirt desert (Baja) road which are covered with sharp, volcanic rocks, you WILL get flats, even on fairly new tires IF you don't air down. I was stubborn and ran at 32 psi on the Rugged Trails that come on our truck or 35-38 psi on the higher pressure rated Hankook Dynapros... and put two flats in the Rugged Trails (13,000 and 19,000 miles on them) and one flat on the Hankooks at about 12,000 miles.

SO, by all means, drop the pressure on your stock or P metric tires to approx. 20 psi for running gravel/ graded roads... less flats, more traction... LT tires may need to be at a different pressure, but approx. 2/3 of the normal highway pressure you run. Deep sand driving will require more air to be removed and down to 1/2 or even 1/3 of the normal highway pressure.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #91
kavy is on a distinguished road
Name: Shaun
kavy's Tacoma Gallery
Ill give my 2 cents here as I have just gone through switching. This is just my opinion.

Was running 265/70/17 Duratrac 10 ply E load and I tow a 5k trailer twice a month for 200km's. I have a 3" OME lift and air bag installed on the back end. When I was not hauling the ride was terrible. I found the tires to have terrible dry pavement grip and every bump was harsh.

I switched to General Grabber AT2's in a P tire with a load rating of 112. Dry payment grip is way better as is ride quality. I picked up my trailer to de-winterize and it felt no different then the E load tires, if anything I actually think my truck feels like it has more power then previously.

Personally for my use I will not move back to a E load tire as I feel the Tacoma is just to light of a truck, If i was towing a 10,000 trailer in a 3500 then I would look to E loads.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #92
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ Exactly. Some of you guys who say why even drive a truck in a p rated tire seamed to forget that truck is produces a whopping 190 HP from a V6 engine, and that the P tated tire that comes with it actually rated to haul more than what our little puny trucks are capable of. I have P rated Michelin LTX AT2s because the majority of the time (90%) commute in the truck, but needed the extra space and something capable of pulling a boat, but I drive these tires on nothing but limestone and granite and various other rocks on a WEEKLY basis and have yet to pop a tire. So to make a statement as like you should of bought a car because now that you run p rated tires you won't be capable of doing anything in the truck is compelety IGNORANT. Did I also mention that the boat fully loaded is in excess of 6,000 lbs? We're not driving F250s or Quad cab Dodges with goosenecks towing double axel 12,000 plus trailers, just because you don't have or run an E rated tire doesn't mean you can't use your truck for what it was designed for. Plain and simple.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #93
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
After wearing out the stock tires, I switched over to load C LT. While the ride certainly stiffened a touch, I am in no way regretful. This said, I would be very hesitant to push up to a D or E simply for the weight. It would be nice to see more aggresesive tire options in a Load C or P rated tire.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #94
Tarpon24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Tarpon24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
E rated. I like them overall. Unless I need to air down... Then they aren't very helpful
your sig was the only thing that caught my eye in this thread.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #95
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
sarcasm ?

used to drop muh "E" load 33's down to 8-10 psi
made for a smoother ride
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #96
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My Hankook P Rated Dynapros now have about 30,000 miles on them and while the performance was excellent (highway quiet, mud, snow, sand and desert driving), the tread life is less than I would like and will get new tires soon. I am thinking of trying the same tire but in an LT to see if I get more miles out of them...? I am also looking at other brands... but the Hankook Dynapro was great, other than low mileage life in the P rated model.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #97
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
My guess would be even less with the LT. If you look at the tires that give a mileage warranty, you'll see all the LT's are excluded.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #98
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PowderSpecial View Post
My guess would be even less with the LT. If you look at the tires that give a mileage warranty, you'll see all the LT's are excluded.
Toyo AT2's are 65K for P-rated and 50K for LT.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/op...-terrain-tires
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #99

David K's Tacoma Gallery
LT tires have more rubber (deeper tread) than their P rated brothers, at least on some... To me, more rubber = more miles per tire.

I had Cooper Discoverer STT tires (LT) and they lasted me the longest (40,000 miles)... I was glad to get rid of them as they were so loud on the highway and were terrible in sand (grave diggers). I replaced them with Toyo Open Country ATs, got 35,000 miles out of them, and liked them a lot... quiet, good in sand... same story with Cooper Discoverer ATRs.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #100
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
More Rubber also most likely means more heat build-up.

On the other hand, the manufacturer's assumption is most likely that tires are used to some percentage of their load rating. If the assumption was that P vs. LT had the same usage it would probably be the same warranty (or more for LT).