LT 278 57.44%
Voters: 484. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #101
Bajatrailrider
bajatrailrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
bajatrailrider's Tacoma Gallery
ok just my 3 cents,with 6 off road rigs.For just rock crawling,Ok on tacoma Lt C .Look at load rating.My 4x4 Dodge has D rated 315-16s they have more load then other makes E rated tires My race truck older Toyota,has LT 12.50-35s C they are only 2 ply side wall load 2400 We run them for play riding 18 psi Off road only.My 12 toy Dc prerunner I just put Toyo P255/75/17 AT .Not all side wall plys are the same.As I have one Vw off road car with Good year wranglers AT dont like them side wall paper thin.Only 2 ply,but my Toyo 2 ply side wall are thick,or just right.Great on street also offroad.They have a load rating of 2535 more then my LT C on other truck,also since this new Toy does not have a whole lot of power,dont want a heavy tire.For me off roading almost every day here in Baja.Real bad roads,No paved roads even in town.P rated on tacoma olny way to go,for soft ride for me.I dont baby the truck off road.BTR
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #102
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajatrailrider View Post
ok just my 3 cents,with 6 off road rigs.For just rock crawling,Ok on tacoma Lt C .Look at load rating.My 4x4 Dodge has D rated 315-16s they have more load then other makes E rated tires My race truck older Toyota,has LT 12.50-35s C they are only 2 ply side wall load 2400 We run them for play riding 18 psi Off road only.My 12 toy Dc prerunner I just put Toyo P255/75/17 AT .Not all side wall plys are the same.As I have one Vw off road car with Good year wranglers AT dont like them side wall paper thin.Only 2 ply,but my Toyo 2 ply side wall are thick,or just right.Great on street also offroad.They have a load rating of 2535 more then my LT C on other truck,also since this new Toy does not have a whole lot of power,dont want a heavy tire.For me off roading almost every day here in Baja.Real bad roads,No paved roads even in town.P rated on tacoma olny way to go,for soft ride for me.I dont baby the truck off road.BTR
I have read this sober and drunk; still can't follow
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #103
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
I have read this sober and drunk; still can't follow
X2

Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #104
Bajatrailrider
Stop drinking and you will understand.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #105
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really dude! While it seems you have a lot of experience relating to the topic, trying to comprehend this is headache inducing.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #106
Bajatrailrider
Sorry about that but dont drink,or write good.For someone that says drunk talk.You dont know who your talking to,and dont go there.Point is I have alot of time offroading 4wheels and dirt biking.Thats all I do.E rated tires offroad on a tacoma.What are you thinking.My 1 ton 4wheeler does not even run e rated tires.For towing I have towed 40ft trailers,with 4 dirt bikes in the bed.Up to 80MPH.Just dont understand why some guys run E rated tires on a tacoma.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #107
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sorry about that but dont drink,or write good.For someone that says drunk talk.You dont know who your talking to,and dont go there.Point is I have alot of time offroading 4wheels and dirt biking.Thats all I do.E rated tires offroad on a tacoma.What are you thinking.My 1 ton 4wheeler does not even run e rated tires.For towing I have towed 40ft trailers,with 4 dirt bikes in the bed.Up to 80MPH.Just dont understand why some guys run E rated tires on a tacoma.
I hear ya. They are stiff as hell.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #108
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
.Just dont understand why some guys run E rated tires on a tacoma.
Some sizes only come E rated

255/80/17 for example
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #109
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
So I have a question about P vs. LT tires.

I'm looking at the Toyo Open Country AT II tires in 265/75/16. Trying to decide between the P and LT version.

I drive 100 miles a day six and seven days a week. Almost 37,000 miles a year. 99% of my driving is highway, with only a few mild off roading trips each year. So I'm looking for tires will will go the long haul. Which is why the 65,000 tread life warranty on the Toyos caught my eye.

Now that 65,000 warranty is on the P rated tires. But the LT tires have a deeper tread (16/32" vs. 13/32") and only a 50,000 warranty.

All things being equal (weight of the truck and payload, driving surface, driving style, etc...), wouldn't one expect the tire with MORE tread on it to last longer? Or is there some inherent difference in the more expenssive LT tires that would cause them to wear down faster?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #110
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesample View Post
what do you have?
I run quiet, smooth, lightweight, low rolling resistance, 60,000 mile warranted Yokohama 235/60/16's on 5 lug Tundra 16x7 steelies... because I never go off road.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #111
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
So I have a question about P vs. LT tires.

I'm looking at the Toyo Open Country AT II tires in 265/75/16. Trying to decide between the P and LT version.

I drive 100 miles a day six and seven days a week. Almost 37,000 miles a year. 99% of my driving is highway, with only a few mild off roading trips each year. So I'm looking for tires will will go the long haul. Which is why the 65,000 tread life warranty on the Toyos caught my eye.

Now that 65,000 warranty is on the P rated tires. But the LT tires have a deeper tread (16/32" vs. 13/32") and only a 50,000 warranty.

All things being equal (weight of the truck and payload, driving surface, driving style, etc...), wouldn't one expect the tire with MORE tread on it to last longer? Or is there some inherent difference in the more expenssive LT tires that would cause them to wear down faster?
IMO, tires life is relative to how you drive, the quality of the rubber and the climate you are in(Soft tires in a hot climate will wear faster). They likely put heavier tread on the LT's because they expect them to be worked harder hence worn faster than the P rated. With this in mind, yes the extra tread=more life.

All said, if you are doing a lot of simple highway driving, the P rated will still give you a lot of life, a better ride, and improved fuel economy
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #112
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
I just put the toyo open country at2's on and love them! I put around 50,000 kms a year on and the majority is on the highway and the other 20% is on gravel road and work site and that's what was important to me because I hate having flat tires because of sharp rocks! I'm more than impressed with my LT265/70R17's on the highway, there very quiet and have a decent ride. I have 40 psi in them and they handle decent. On the gravel they are very stable, but thats all the off road experience I have with them so far. When the hot weather comes we'll see how they handle beaches and loaded/un-loading my seadoo.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #113
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
LT Pro Comp All Terrain 265/75/16
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #114
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
P VS LT

I was running Toyo open country AT II in an LT rating, but on a 4 banger I thought it was a little too heavy.So I switched to the same tire, but in a P rating and getting less mileage than in the LT.Why I cannot figure out?

later tig1
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #115
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Same happened to me. I think its because the lt is a stiffer tire and maybe had better rolling resistance. Except I went from P to Lt and will never go back to P personally.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #116
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Bridgstone Revo's in LT265-75-16. In a couple weeks I will be replacing them with a P rated tire. I just don't have the need.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #117
stumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumblestacks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stumblestacks's Tacoma Gallery
LT from spring to fall. I don't want to worry when I grind my sidewalls on a sharp rock. And I feel safer running 12-15 psi without beadlocks. I do run P rated siped and studded in the winter, but I don't feel as safe as with my LTs when I'm wheeling on them.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #118
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
P rated tires on a truck? You should have purchased a Camry...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #120
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
P rated tires on a truck? You should have purchased a Camry...
Tacomas come with P rated tires