1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P vs LT rated tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by freesample, Feb 19, 2009.

?

P or LT rated tires.

1. P

242 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. LT

311 vote(s)
    56.2%
  1. Oct 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So , following your logic , every person that bought a Tacoma but hasn't changed to an LT rated tire should have bought a Camry instead

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    Is there logic here? Arguing about trivial BS on the internet? Why so serious?

:notsure:

3. Oct 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I win

4. Oct 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    It's in the title.
    P= pasenger CAR tires.
    LT= light TRUCK tires
    A no tow 5 lug street queen, yeah P rated tires will be ok. Off roading and towing, truck duties, I would be more comfortable with a tire desighed to do these tasks from the get go.
    My little 2 cents.

5. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The Tacoma is capable of hauling and towing it's legal limits with the P rated tires they come with

I can understand the offroad comments for a stronger sidewall though

6. Dec 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I hated P rated on our Sequoia. Put the same tires on my Taco and good-to-go. The heavier automobile felt sloppy and sluggish with Ps. I had a bad attitude towards Ps also before this. Also, the pics of Colinb17 wheelin' the hell outta his P rated TerraGraps helped:)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  7. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

You do realize the stock tires that come on Tacomas are P-rated tires that are capable of towing MORE than the what these little V6 trucks can handle?

I live on a lake and I'm running P-rated tires. I'm running Michelin LTX AT2s I tow 5,000 lbs of gear, fuel, and a 21" Wellcraft boat. They also weekly handle the harsh limestone, granite, lake rocks, and soft sand bar from the lake and guess what... They've never popped or left me stuck.

P-Rated tires get me through this almost every weekend. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I wrestled with this choice when I bought my tires. I went with P-rated about 3 years ago. I no longer do serious trails like the Rubicon.

Seems to me that P-rated tires would have a softer compound, therefore grippy-er (which is nice for all types of driving).

Thinner sidewalls, of course, which would lessen the allowable load, but improve the flex and ride and MPG. I don't pull trailers or haul heavy loads, so the only significant drawback is the increased possibility of puncturing a sidewall while offroading. (I ALWAYS CARRY A GOOD SPARE). I pick my lines very carefully to avoid this, and have full coverage from Americas Tire.

Just my 2 cents.

9. Jan 22, 2014 at 4:03 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:

Those Michelin tires are a far cry from the crap Dunlop tires that came on my truck. I junked those quick. If my truck came with LTX's I certainly would have kept them. Nice wheeling area.

P.S. The wallet is great. Thanks

10. Jan 22, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^Thanks yeah I'm truly blessed to be here I don't take anything for granted in life. Yeah glad you like it I still have mine as well its broken in quite nicely.

:)

11. Jan 22, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    My P-rated Toyo AT2 rolled right over this thatching rake and didn't puncture. Lucky I guess? :notsure:

[​IMG]

12. Jan 22, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I see now. So P-rated tires are fine as long as they're Michelins. That makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

13. Jan 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm. Didn't come across right. As usual.
    Obviously, not all tires are created equal. The P rated tires that came with my '12 Sport, sucked. Being an off reader, I like going places I probably shouldn't, with no locker. Running over things is inevitable. Having a stronger side wall and stronger tire in general, is somewhat of a good thing in my eyes. I also carry about 400 lbs of tools in the bed. I have noticeable less side wall flex going through corners. My truck has to run like this for my job. So for me, yes , LT tires work way better on my truck then P rated tires.

14. Jan 22, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    My Tacoma currently has Toyo LT tires on it that came off an F350. 85 psi max pressure. One tire has the load rating to carry the whole truck.

15. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I know what you meant, I was just being a wise-ass. :)

16. Jan 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    That's what we like to see!

17. Jan 23, 2014 at 3:35 AM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    I wish there were more load range C tires available but the majority of LT tires seem to be load range E, which is a bit overkill depending on what your doing with your truck. I have 2 sets of load range E LT's one for winter and one all terrain. Yes it rides rougher, yes it's overkill, but after a couple flats on the stock tires from driving on a gravel road and a rock puncturing the tire beyond repair the peace of mind is worth it.

18. Mar 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'm still way curious about this topic. I have only run P tires on my trucks and the only big failure I had was a bolt that punctured my Mich AT2 running down the highway in a big thunderstorm in Dallas on my 1st Gen Tundra. Now I have the Tacoma with the stock Rugged Trails and I'm contemplating my next tire. P or LT...that is the question. I really hate flats. I hate things sticking through sidewalls.

19. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    stumblestacks

stumblestacks Well-Known Member

Member:
    North lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Beat up 98taco 3.4L limited xtracab TRD
    Finally blew the motor at 230,000, sprung for a Jasper with 100,000/3 year warranty. The birdpig has a new set of wings! OME heavy load lift kit, Dakar leafs w/AAL, frame mounted energy suspension 4.5" bumpstops, 882 coils, nitrocharger sport shocks, trail gear sliders, addicted offroad front bumper, KC 130w daylighters, Warn M8000, 31" BFG KM2's, custom dents and Nevada pinstripes.
    I run P rated in the winter since my km2's have no siping and suck on snow and ice. Very little snow this year so I've been doing a lot more winter wheeling than usual and I hate the lack of confidence when I get into a stretch of sharp rocks. I say LT all the way if you get offroad in rocks even occasionally. Plus, I don't feel safe airing down a P rated tire to 12 psi like I do with my LT's. It sucks when I leave Tahoe for the weekend and want to go scrap around on some trails in the foothills on the way home but I have these weak P's on my truck. I'm going to start running a siped LT in the winter and stick to the km2's in the summer. It really comes down to what you use your truck for. In a perfect world I would have both mounted on their own rims and switch them out as needed, but I'm too lazy for that. And yes I know I could sipe my km2's, but they would be spitting out torn off chunks on every sharp rock. P's if you don't really wheel, LT if you do.

20. Mar 5, 2014 at 4:59 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    What load rating on the LT's? I spend most of my time in my truck driving the 60 mile round trip to/from work. I don't want to kill the ride, but I want the puncture resistance of the LT's.

Products Discussed in

To Top