Notices

P vs LT rated tires?

View Poll Results: P or LT rated tires.
P 206 42.47%
LT 279 57.53%
Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
freesample will become famous soon enoughfreesample will become famous soon enough

freesample's Tacoma Gallery
P vs LT rated tires?

what do you have?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
P rated Nitto Terra Grapplers
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
for offroading.......like serious offroading.....lt tires are the way to go as far as im concerned.......................but for normal everyday driving.........p-rated are fine.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LT rated tires. I 'wheel mine and I regularly tow/haul so I need the beef
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
Aldo ct will become famous soon enoughAldo ct will become famous soon enough

Aldo ct's Tacoma Gallery
I have LT. They are too damn heavy. I will go with P rated next time.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i have lt rated winter tires and p rated all seasons
Old 03-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i have LT 255/75/17 BFG mt's and LT 285/75/16 nitto TG's
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah just what is the difference... i have lt325/60r18
Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
P Rated = anything from 1-4 ply's, with 1-ply sidewall. LT rated= 6-ply+, with most 3-ply sidewalls..Mt/r's, BFG M/T, ProComp M/T, Swampers, etc...One more thing. P=Passenger/P-metric Which is why you always see "P" or "LT" before the corresponding numbers, such as 285/70/17, etc... LT=Light Truck, and not all LT's have 3-ply sidewall technology. Most newer company's offer it, just check the sidewall of your tire, and it should tell you how many ply's the tire is and if you sidewall's are TRi-ply(3-ply). Or have letter's A,B,C,D,E. A=2-4ply, B=4ply, C=6-ply, D=8, E=10...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

i havent been able to even find a p rated tire for my rim...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
My tires are round.....sort of.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #17
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter379 View Post
What exactly is the difference?
Thickness of the sidewalls is the biggest factor. LT's have a thicker sidewall hence they are heavier and more durable for extreme offroad conditions and they have a higher load rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkturtleninja View Post
i havent been able to even find a p rated tire for my rim...
Why not? LT and P come in the same sizes. What size and brand of tires are you running now??
Edit: noticed in another thread you are running procomp (assuming muds from your pics). You can get a P rated all terrain tire in an 18" that would fit your rim, but not a mudder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
I just ordered 4 P265/70R17 NTG's from 4wp. Town fair tire told me Nitto did not make a P rated tire in that size and that I would have to go with LT or change tire size or wheel size.
That is what I am running, no complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Will LT's have a noticably harsher ride than P rated tires of the same size and brand?
Noticably...maybe, slightly....yes.
LT's are heavier and have a stiffer sidewall so they do not give as much, but how noticable it is depends on the person.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I have LT.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #19
9th level dungeon master

anytime i go to a site and put in 325/60/r18 i always get nothing but lt rated tires... i would settle for road tires at this point..... and keep the procomps for when i need them