Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New wheel and TPMS question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
JimmyRiddle is on a distinguished road
JimmyRiddle's Tacoma Gallery
New wheel and TPMS question

I just purchased a new Toyota Tacoma base model and am considering changing out the ugly OEM wheels (15 X 6). to black wheels. Are the TPMS transferable to the new wheels? I'm a bit of a noob at this. Any suggestions on 15 X 6 black wheels. I like the XD Series Enduro but they only come in 15 X 7. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just noticed on Tirerack.com that steel wheel TPMS cannot be transferred to alloy wheels.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRiddle View Post
I just purchased a new Toyota Tacoma base model and am considering changing out the ugly OEM wheels (15 X 6). to black wheels. Are the TPMS transferable to the new wheels? I'm a bit of a noob at this. Any suggestions on 15 X 6 black wheels. I like the XD Series Enduro but they only come in 15 X 7. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just noticed on Tirerack.com that steel wheel TPMS cannot be transferred to alloy wheels.
You can reuse your sensors if you use a strap kit like this:

Talk to the tire shop first and check if the carry it.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Strap is the easiest/cheap/safe way to do it.
Cheapest way, rotate the sensors 180 and they will most likely work with the alloys, BUT, in the future, make sure any tire installer is aware of it or they will break your sensors when they remove your old tires.

On your new truck, I'd go with the strap and standard stems.
My truck is an '08, so the batteries are likely not long for the world. Better option there is to simply buy a new set from Rockauto.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
I recommend against the strap and against turning the sensors, because it's too easy to forget to remind the next tire shop that your sensors aren't installed in the original location (using resulting in the sensors being broken when your tire is removed - at no fault of the tire shop).

I just posted some information here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...type-x-37.html

for someone who asking about going from steel to alloy wheels.