Notices

What size tires and rims to get?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
griff04 is on a distinguished road
griff04's Tacoma Gallery

Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some advice from the group please.

I just purchased a 1991 extended cab. The truck came with a 4" lift kit along with 35x12.50R15LT 113Q M+S tires which I feel that the truck is almost straining to turn them over along with making it a rough ride. In short, I'd like to downsize on the tires but not quite sure what size to go to. I will mostly be using the truck to run around town in and pulling my jon boat to the river. Won't be doing any off roading or mudding.

Any suggestions on what type/size of tires and rim sizes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Griff
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff04 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some advice from the group please.

I just purchased a 1991 extended cab. The truck came with a 4" lift kit along with 35x12.50R15LT 113Q M+S tires which I feel that the truck is almost straining to turn them over along with making it a rough ride. In short, I'd like to downsize on the tires but not quite sure what size to go to. I will mostly be using the truck to run around town in and pulling my jon boat to the river. Won't be doing any off roading or mudding.

Any suggestions on what type/size of tires and rim sizes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Griff
Hi Griff,

Welcome to TacomaWorld.

I think a 33" tire would probably work really well for you. 33" tires for 15" wheels are extremely limited nowadays, so you might have to go with a 16" wheel.

32" tires might be an option too, although I think they'd probably be a little too short with your 4" lift.

Aside from overall diameter, weight is going to be something to take into consideration, so that you can improve your acceleration (as you mentioned it's very sluggish right now).

Based on personal experience, I have noticed that tires from Cooper, Nitto and Toyo seem to be light weight. All-Terrain (A/T) tires are generally going to be lighter weight than Maximum Terrain (M/T) tires. Contrarily, I've also noticed over the years that BFG and Maxxis tires seem to be particularly heavy.

255/85R16 or 285/75R16 would be the equivalent of a 33", and a P-Metric or D-Rated tire should be more than sufficient to tow a small boat (no need to get the extra weight of an E-Rated tire). 255/85R16 will have less options than the 285/75R16s.

As for wheel options, I work with FN Wheels and we offer two really nice, light-weight options at reasonable price. The 16x8" Konig Countersteer Offroad is right at 18lbs per wheel, and the 16x8" FN Five Star is 18.5lbs per wheel.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
griff04 is on a distinguished road
griff04's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the reply and the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Hi Griff,

Welcome to TacomaWorld.

I think a 33" tire would probably work really well for you. 33" tires for 15" wheels are extremely limited nowadays, so you might have to go with a 16" wheel.

32" tires might be an option too, although I think they'd probably be a little too short with your 4" lift.

Aside from overall diameter, weight is going to be something to take into consideration, so that you can improve your acceleration (as you mentioned it's very sluggish right now).

Based on personal experience, I have noticed that tires from Cooper, Nitto and Toyo seem to be light weight. All-Terrain (A/T) tires are generally going to be lighter weight than Maximum Terrain (M/T) tires. Contrarily, I've also noticed over the years that BFG and Maxxis tires seem to be particularly heavy.

255/85R16 or 285/75R16 would be the equivalent of a 33", and a P-Metric or D-Rated tire should be more than sufficient to tow a small boat (no need to get the extra weight of an E-Rated tire). 255/85R16 will have less options than the 285/75R16s.

As for wheel options, I work with FN Wheels and we offer two really nice, light-weight options at reasonable price. The 16x8" Konig Countersteer Offroad is right at 18lbs per wheel, and the 16x8" FN Five Star is 18.5lbs per wheel.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff04 View Post
Thank you for the reply and the advice.
No problem! I hope it helps!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
rkarabao will become famous soon enoughrkarabao will become famous soon enough

rkarabao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdMeF9SiR2 View Post
Hi Griff,

Welcome to TacomaWorld.

I too appreciate this info! I am looking into a set of FN5 star wheels and would like to know between your recommended tire sizes (255/85R16 or 285/75R16). How much rubbing and trimming could I expect with either tire size? I have a 2" lift on a 2013.