Notices

Nail in my tire question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
Nail in my tire question

While I was changing the brake pads last week, I noticed a nail in my tire. I'll just fix it. No problem. But as these are my first set of A/T tires I have a question. This nail is in between two lugs in the middle of the tire. Sticking out as high as the tread. Now, would a simple plug and go be ok? Or, a patch nessasary? I have road hazard on them, but I would like to be informed.

Thanks in adavance
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdavert View Post
This nail is in between two lugs in the middle of the tire.

Thanks in adavance
Would help if you post the pic...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Any big tire shop is gonna do both. Plug and patch i had one fixed at discount tire and they said they do both. Sure sucks to get a nail in new tires but shouldnt be an issue.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
No pictures needed.

I'd get it patched, if not plug/patch. Patch is the standard at any rate.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Like everyone else, patch is preferred plug will work in a pinch. If you have coverage get it done right and not worry about it again.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Plug will be OK by itself if:

as described, it is in the middle of tire

air up the tire really high

install plug but first scour the hell out of the hole with the reamer,
really lay on it, and air will be hissing out...

goop up and jam the plug in and leave a little tread-size tail out
----
air up tire again, let sit for an hour, test tire pressure, go driving

check tire pressure again, then next day, then next day

no leaks after some days, done. no worries.

if this is on the front, it is a good time to rotate fronts to back. it is a little
safer to run a 'test tire, one with a new plug' on the back until you know
for sure leak is sealed.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
gummy worm...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Any hole in the tire, you want to get it plugged and patched. (and that's if the hole isn't too big, or in the shoulder/sidewall) The plug keeps dirt/water out, and patch keeps air in and helps maintain structural integrity of the tire.

I know Discount Tire repairs tires for free and uses the plug and patch method... don't know if there is one nearby for you..http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTir...apy=&x=39&y=12 but any shop that uses the plug and patch method should be fine