Notices

Want to run bf goodrich a/t 285/75/R16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
rawfltrevor is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
rawfltrevor's Tacoma Gallery
Want to run bf goodrich a/t 285/75/R16

Hey guys, so it's come time for me to get new tires since putting the 3"/2" coil spacer and block lift on my truck. Its a 2nd gen prerunner access cab. I want to run bf goodrich all terrain tires at size 285/75/R16 which is about 33" I believe. Because I am on a budget (broke college kid), I can't afford fancy wheels so I want something nice and simple like pro comp series 97,98 etc. I have googled and lurked this forum thoroughly and have not found a straight answer to my question: What backspacing/offset do I need the wheels to be to run those tires without rubbing?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Get 4.5 backspace and you are going to have to trim a little.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
Get 4.5 backspace and you are going to have to trim a little.
I want to get some steel pro comps and it seems most of them are at a 4.25" or 2.5" backspace. Would 4.25 bs work? I'm fine with trimming plastic but I really want to avoid chopping the cab mounts or any other metal. the wheels are 16x8 by the way.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfltrevor View Post
I want to get some steel pro comps and it seems most of them are at a 4.25" or 2.5" backspace. Would 4.25 bs work? I'm fine with trimming plastic but I really want to avoid chopping the cab mounts or any other metal. the wheels are 16x8 by the way.
For steelies, the only one that I'm aware of that will not interfere with your calipers are the Wheeler steelies. Look into those if you're set on steel wheels. You can keep your stock wheels and add adapters as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
For steelies, the only one that I'm aware of that will not interfere with your calipers are the Wheeler steelies. Look into those if you're set on steel wheels. You can keep your stock wheels and add adapters as well.
Cool thanks, I think I'm thinking I'd go with the type b (4" bs). You think that those wheels alone with no spacers and no cab mount chop will allow the 285s to fit?

In this thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-steelies.html) one guy is saying to go with type a because 4.5 bs is plenty for 285s to clear the UCA and that type Bs will rub the cab mount with the 285s. Yet, another guy is saying to go with the type B's. I'm lost haha.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfltrevor View Post
Cool thanks, I think I'm thinking I'd go with the type b (4" bs). You think that those wheels alone with no spacers and no cab mount chop will allow the 285s to fit?

In this thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-steelies.html) one guy is saying to go with type a because 4.5 bs is plenty for 285s to clear the UCA and that type Bs will rub the cab mount with the 285s. Yet, another guy is saying to go with the type B's. I'm lost haha.
You will have enough clearance with 4.5" BS and 285s on your 2nd gen. If you are considering some larger and wider than 4.0" BS might be a better option. More than likely, with 285s, you'll need to do the CMC mod.