Notices

Wheel Offset/backspacing question. yes i searched, need help

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
AgentSicker is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
AgentSicker's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel Offset/backspacing question. yes i searched, need help

So i currently have stock 16" wheels on my 2007 Tacoma Double cab offroad. so they are 16x7 wheels correct? tires i have on these wheels are 285/75/16 km2's. i have spidertrax 1.25" spacers installed front and back. i love the look of the wheels how they sit and such on the truck. i am looking to buy new wheels same diameter and width as my stock wheels but want to change the backspacing/offset so i do not have to run spacers and at the same time keeping the same look. so what backspacing/offset wheel do i need to keep my same look but ditch the 1.25" spacers?? any help would be awesome. thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I would run an 8" wide wheel with 0 offset, 4.5" backspace. That will give you the look you want. Plus it will help those 285's spread a little bit for more footprint.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
4.5" Back Spacing
That's 3/4" change from stock.
That's what 1st Gen TRDs are like I'm running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I would run an 8" wide wheel with 0 offset, 4.5" backspace. That will give you the look you want. Plus it will help those 285's spread a little bit for more footprint.
On an 8" wheel 0 offset would be 4"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
Source: CustomTacos

Alloy Wheel Cross-Section:

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.

1. Wheel Diameter. This is the diameter of the wheel. Stock wheels are commonly 15 or 16 inch diameter. This dimension is usually in 1 increments (i.e. 15, 16, 17) but some manufacturers offer 16.5, which is rare.

2. Wheel Width. This is the width of the wheel, measured inside the outer lip of the wheel. This dimension is usually in 1/2 increments (i.e. 7.5, 8)

3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.

4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.

4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.

4.2. Negative Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is behind (or inboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and on so-called reversed rims. (Diagram below shows negative offset)

4.3 Positive Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is in front of (or outboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on front-wheel-drive vehicles. Stock Tacoma wheels have Positive offset.

5. Backspacing. The distance from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel. This measurement is closely related to offset (without actually measuring, backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4] ).

6. Centerbore. The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. This measurement may be critical to clear the hubs of a 4WD.

7. Bolt Circle. Also known as PCD (Pattern Circle Diameter). The bolt circle represents the diameter of an imaginary circle that goes through the center of the bolt holes. 4x2 Tacoma Bolt Circle: 5 lug on 4.5 PCD; 4x4/Prerunner Tacoma Bolt Circle: 6 lug on 5.5 PCD.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yep my bad. I looked at a chart one column off.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
That's 3/4" change from stock.
That's what 1st Gen TRDs are like I'm running.

On an 8" wheel 0 offset would be 4"
False. 8" wide wheel with 0 offset is 4.5" bs. 8.5" with -6 off is 4.5"bs, and 9" -12 is 4.5
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
So maybe I can read a chart. I wasn't looking at it again to double check. Sarcasm. People are always tough on the internet.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
False. 8" wide wheel with 0 offset is 4.5" bs. 8.5" with -6 off is 4.5"bs, and 9" -12 is 4.5
Look at the picture.
[QUOTE=tcBob;1974945]Source: CustomTacos

Alloy Wheel Cross-Section:

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.

3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.

4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.

4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.
[QUOTE]
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Alby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud ofAlby9999 has much to be proud of
Name: Alby
Alby9999's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same setup as the OP. I want to replace the stock rims with 16X8 or 16X9. To compensate for the 1.25 spacers I have as well as have the tires stick out about 1 " more, what offset or Backspacing would I go with in both 16X8 and 16X9?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
to match 1st gens, stock 4.5 BS with 1.25" spidertrax, you would get a wheel with 3.25" BS with out the Spiders....

to match 2nd gens, stock BS 5" with 1.25 spiders, get a wheel with 3.75" BS without...

the offset will vary depending on the width of rim using the above.....assuming 9" rim...

you could add another .5" BS to either...or not...

the further out you go, the more problems with other stuffs...main thing is keeping everything hubcentric, no matter what one does....

Peace...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
ok so im going to go for the 16x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing/0 offset. bolt pattern i need is 6x5.5 just not sure what center bore i need for the wheel. its a 2007 tacoma offroad 4x4. anyone know what wheel center bore i need to fit hubsentric on my hub?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
i found a set of wheels i really like, measurements are

16x8 wheel
6x139.7 bolt pattern ( same as 6x5.5 correct?)
106.10 center bore of wheel
offset +1.

is that the correct size bore and what backspacing is +1 offset?

any help would be awesome. thank you.

again i will be putting my 285/7/16 tires on the wheels and will be going on my 2007 tacoma offroad 4x4 with a 3" ome lift with dakars.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
6x139.7 bolt pattern ( same as 6x5.5 correct?) YES

I have no idea +1, it could mean 3" or 5" BS, 5 is same as 2nd gen alloy stock, maybe a quick email or toll free call?

Good Luck
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct View Post
An 8" wide wheel with 0 offset gives you a 4.5" BS. Check out this write-up we put together on offset and backspace.

http://thesquealingtire.com/offset-b...they-relate-4/

This chart will help as well

From another thread
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSicker View Post
i found a set of wheels i really like, measurements are

16x8 wheel
6x139.7 bolt pattern ( same as 6x5.5 correct?)
offset +1.

is that the correct size bore and what backspacing is +1 offset?

any help would be awesome. thank you.

again i will be putting my 285/7/16 tires on the wheels and will be going on my 2007 tacoma offroad 4x4 with a 3" ome lift with dakars.
106.1mm will be hubcentric for your Tacoma, so yes, they'll work.

+1mm offset on an 8" wide wheel = 4.54" back spacing.

Backspacing formula (if you know the offset)

1) Convert offset from millimeters to inches by multiplying by 25.4 (there are 25.4 mm in an inch). Write this number down.

2) Apply this formula: (Wheel width + 1") ų 2
Wheel width is measured from inside the two outer flanges. You are adding the 1" to account for the thickness of the flanges of the wheel, which is .5" per flange, and there is a flange on the outside and the inside, thus 1" of total flange. Dividing by 2 will give you the dead center of the wheel as measured from the extreme outer edge of flange to flange.

3) Add the offset to the number you got from step 2 (if the offset is positive) or subtract the offset if it is negative.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
One more thing -

The 16x8" +1mm offset wheels will sit outward approximately 1.75" than your current 16x7" stock TRD Offroad wheels.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
awesome thank you for the good info guys!