duratracs or MT/R with kevlar?

View Poll Results: duratracs or wrangler MT/R kevlar
duratracs 11 37.93%
MT/R kevlar 16 55.17%
other tire offered in 285/70/17 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
mo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud of
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
duratracs or MT/R with kevlar?

whats up guys seen alot of threads about duratracs and there weak sidewalls and that made me look at the mt/r's does anyone have any experience with these? Ill be getting one of these in 285/70/17 and mounting them to konig six shooter as soon as i get my lift installed.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I like 'em. [EDIT: the MTR/Kevlars] I'll probably replace mine when they hit either 35K or 40K miles.

Also see the threads that show up below in the "similar threads" box.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
mo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud of
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
do you have the duratracs or the mt/r's? im really interested in the mt/r's but haven't read much about em
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the confusion. I have the MT/R Kevlars. They've held up pretty well on trails. I air them down to about 14lbs. Nobody would mistake them for a quiet tire, but I hear the Duratracs aren't exactly quiet either.

Short answer: If you're buying them for off-roading, get the MTRs. If you're buying them for snow and ice on pavement, get the Duratracs.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I have the MT/R Kevlars. They've held up pretty well on trails. I air them down to about 14lbs. Nobody would mistake them for a quiet tire, but I hear the Duratracs aren't exactly quiet either.

Short answer: If you're buying them for off-roading, get the MTRs. If you're buying them for snow and ice on pavement, get the Duratracs.
This....
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
I love the looks of my MTR's but next tires will be BFG AT's I dont need a Mud tire.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Like was mentioned above, this question is hard to answer without knowing what you are going to use the tires for. The MT/Rs are tougher, heavier and are shorter wearing. The duratracs have weaker sidewalls, are lighter, are longer wearing and are better in snowy and icy conditions. I'd say if you wheel in an area with sharp rocks and these will be dedicated wheeling tires, go with the MT/Rs. If this is a weekend wheeler set of tires, or if you don't live in an area with sharp rocks, the Duratracs will be a better option. Just my two cents...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your opinions guys yall that do run the mt/r's did yall have to trim alot to make em fit in 285 or was it just a cmc and it was all gravy? also im one of those guys who would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it so thats why im looking at the mt/r's also ive read the duratracs have weak sidewalls that cause wandering on the high way and i guess flex alot in turns causing body roll correct me if im wrong and the mt/r's have stiffer sidewalls from what ive read which would fix the flex or the duratracs. also doesnt really snow all that much where im living currently so i want a decent aggressive looking tire that does great off road and handles decent on the streets in dry and wet weather.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
I love the looks of my MTR's but next tires will be BFG AT's I dont need a Mud tire.
Duratrac is an at tire
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
i have the duratracs and love them...and they are almost as quiet as stock tires were. the mtr's are superior offroad, but as noted, are more aggressive. you get a tougher tire, with the downsides of added cost, faster road wear, more noise and less onroad comfort.

frankly, though, its a matter of degrees. �� ...and your driving style and skill onroad and off, and in a variety of conditions. i wouldn't hesitate to drive mtr's in all conditions, but i also grew up with deep snow wheeling and winter driving, so i know what to expect with tires like that in different conditions. you know you, so rate yourself for that end of things. ��

if you want aggressive looking, the choice is obvious. ��

not sure about fitment issues in that size. you might get more feedback asking the fitment question in its own, clearly presented thread.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections
Name: Robert
04tacomarob's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Duratracs and love them. They have awesome traction on everything I've been on from wet pavement, sand, rocks, mud, and did excellent going through muddy creeks 2-3ft deep. Have worn absolutely even in the past 13k with rotating them every 5k-7k. They aren't loud on the highway but they do have a nice hum.

I had to make the same decision between these and the mtrs. Just for my knowledge I'll get mtrs eventually but I am more than happy with what I have.

Hope this helps you out some, good luck
Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Seen the wrangler authoritys?

Kinda like a rebranded duratracs.........still made by goodyear.

Price worked for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered duratracs from discount tire get here tomorrow!