Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

about to get new tires/wheels no lift

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
benztech is on a distinguished road
benztech's Tacoma Gallery
about to get new tires/wheels no lift

i havent found any definate answers so im posting my question at the risk of someone beating me up for posting a question thats been asked before. if it has feel free to crap on me then kindly direct me to the answer.
i have an 09 dc lb 2wd, completely bone stock (except for the tailgate hose clamp mod ). im due for some new tires, and im looking to get a little bit wider of a stance, but i dont have the money to lift it and dont really want to. i can drop a grand or a little more on new wheels and tires but thats about it. im looking at the pro comp wheels xtreme 7069 or something similar, just simple black wheels. heres my question: i understand that i cant go much wider on the tires (max 265/70) without rubbing on the uca.. but what about getting wheels with a different (positive or negative??) offset so that the wheels actually stick out a little farther than the stock wheels, so putting a little wider tires wouldnt rub against the uca?
everyone ive seen with a little wider stance has a lift kit so maybe this cant be done, but it makes sense to me that if the centerline of the wheel was farther out than the stock wheel, even the same size tire would sit farther away from the uca and so wouldnt rub.
i have the 17'' stock wheels with 265/65s. wouldnt mind going down to a 16'' wheel if needed, but i have heard from the local tire shop that it wouldnt fit over the brake caliper.
better yet, if you have pics of non lifted 2nd gen taco with wider stance let me know what you have on it.

thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
juve777 is on a distinguished road
Name: Juvenal
juve777's Tacoma Gallery
I would stay with 17s.. 16 also fit but not all aftermarket wheels will work... My profile has not been updated so can't see my recent pics... But I did run 265/75r16 with stock wheels and no rub on the uca.. Now for wheels u can go with plus 4.50 back spacing. I would sugg look into the ultra 164 I have those now on my truck. 17x8 should be fine. Now possibly slight trimming front bumper if u with wheels and tires.. Due to the longer turning ratio..
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm non lifted with aftermarket wheels/tires no issues. I'm running 265 75 16 with the silver FJ trails
Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
Im also interested in what backspacing and offset gives the wider stance while allowing near full articulation
Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
benztech is on a distinguished road
benztech's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I like those ultra 164's.. did you have to get new lug nuts and from where? So to fit those wheels with 265/75/17 i wouldn't have to get a lift leveling kit, spacers, new uca's, anything? I don't go offroad really, its just for looks