Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How-To: Custom Flush-Mount TRD Center Caps

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #21
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome OP! I'm going to have to try this for my Countersteer's at some point! Fantastic job!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
BFD should take notice. It is an enormous improvement over what they produce.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Awesome work Cody, and thank you for making an excellent how-to write-up as well!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Pics when you're done!
Will do Sir!!!!

What size weather stripping did you end up using??
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
Bronze Ambassador
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo02cop View Post
What size weather stripping did you end up using??
this stuff, bent in half. I picked it up at Lowes for about $6, or check the link on the first page if you cant find it in store.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
flatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Rob
flatfeet's Tacoma Gallery
Looks clean and OEM now. Kudos on the great write up to go with this mod. Great job!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
Bronze Ambassador
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quick update...

Welp, after waiting 4 weeks for my spacers to arrive looks like the caps don't fit...

I have about 1/4" of clearance issues. Looks like I'm going to have to cut out the tabs on the inside of the cap. That should make everything fit together nicely. Only problem with that is durability. Going to have to use some more epoxy to make sure it stays together.

It's a work in progress, but we'll see how it turns out...

EDIT:
After about an hour of Dremel work, everything fits proper.

Cut off the tabs...

Sanded off the remaining glue and epoxy...

Caps now fit flush on the spacers...

After test fitting, I applied more epoxy to the inside of the caps. hoping that will be enough to hold them together but only time will tell. Also, messed up my clearcoat so probably going to have to sand/spray them again...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
Brouhaha is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
Brouhaha's Tacoma Gallery
What spacers are you running?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #31
Bronze Ambassador

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
What spacers are you running?
BORA 1", installed yesterday. Tires and wheels should be mounted this week.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Got these installed on the truck yet??? Want to see how she looks!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
Bronze Ambassador

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo02cop View Post
Got these installed on the truck yet??? Want to see how she looks!!!!
Been busy getting my suspension in order. Spent all last week installing new leaf springs, and contemplating CMC'n.

Keep changing my mind on tires, too.
Narrowed it down to 3: Toyo Open Country AT2, General Grabber AT2, or ProComp Xtreme AT...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #34
That's cool, not to add to your tough tire decision but look hard at the Nitto Terra Grapplers too!!! I have about 45000 miles on my tires and they still look brand new!!! They ride great and don't produce a lot of road noise!!! Can take and send you a picture if you want to see how they look on Countersteer Offroads and how they are wearing!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
awesome job sir!

im having a little trouble myself with my new wheels and and the center caps.. was directed to your thread

question.. whats the bore size of your wheels and whats the diameter of those TRD caps if its not too much trouble.

thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
TIM.TRDSparks is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired Firemen
TIM.TRDSparks's Tacoma Gallery
That's a great idea and cannot wait to see the finish product!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #37
Bronze Ambassador

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
question.. whats the bore size of your wheels and whats the diameter of those TRD caps if its not too much trouble.
PM'd you.... But in case anybody else has the same question, I believe the BFDs have a bore of 108mm. the TRD caps have a diameter of about 104mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM.TRDSparks View Post
That's a great idea and cannot wait to see the finish product!
Thanks! ^^^ This is where I purchased the TRD caps from, if anybody else needs them.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
got your pm..

Appreciate the input and help. I've looked high and low including the places you mentioned with no luck. There just dont seem to be any short, big bore sized center caps. The largest I've found are the ones you used from TRDsparks. I MAY be able make something work with those. But.. first.. im going to just paint my hubs, today actually. Satin black and hopefully they will blend with the wheel better. Worst case scenario, I make some center caps and cover them. I have a few ideas rollin around already. From simple flat center cap covers from thin sheet metwl or abs plastic, to something along the lines of what you did and making something work. Ill keep you posted.

Again.. thanks for the input.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #39
TIM.TRDSparks is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired Firemen
TIM.TRDSparks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Thanks! ^^^ This is where I purchased the TRD caps from, if anybody else needs them.
Thanks for the order! What part number did you use?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
Bronze Ambassador

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Finally......

Proper shoot tomorrow, hopefully.

Products Discussed in this Thread