Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How-To: Custom Flush-Mount TRD Center Caps

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
How-To: Custom Flush-Mount TRD Center Caps

There was interest in another thread about the custom centercaps I recently put together, so here is a quick "how-to" on my build process.

I liked the look of the TRD snap in center caps. Unfortunately they were too small for my wheels. A little trial-and-error, some cutting and epoxy, and I've got a nice push-through cap that sits perfectly flush with the face of my wheel. Here's a look at the finished product:

*Disclaimer! This is the process that worked for me, and my particular wheels. Being that wheels come in all different shapes, sizes, and center bores this might not work for you. If interested in attempting it, take some measurements beforehand. Also, being flushmount caps, they may not clear 4x4 hubs unless you are running spacers. That said, I encourage you to use this as a starting point and to modify the steps involved as needed. Though I can't guarantee your results haha...*

Anyways, lets get started!

Parts list:
- Center caps for your wheels
- TRD FJ SE wheel center caps (part# PTR18-35092)
- 5 Minute Epoxy
- MD V-flex Weatherstrip 1/16 x 3/8
- Dremel w/ cutoff wheel
- Masking tape
- Washable marker
- Razor blade
- Rattle can primer
- Rattle can clear coat/sealer

Most of the stuff I already had in the garage. TRD caps were about $50 shipped. Epoxy and weatherstripping were another $15 or so.

Step 1:

Put a piece of tape around your existing center cap so you can mark where you're going to cut. Push the cap through your wheel, while holding it in place use a WASHABLE marker (don't use permanent for obvious reasons) to make a line around the entire cap. After this I used a regular black pen to make the edge of the line more visible. I then used a razor blade to cut the tape along this line...

Step 2:

With a crisp tape line on all 4 caps, it's time to cut. Using a vice and some scrap wood to hold the cap secure, a Dremel with metal cut off wheel worked well to make the cuts. I had to rotate the caps in the vice 3-4 times to cut all the way around, but it was still a pretty quick task. After cutting they will have rough edges, use a file to smooth them out and level any high spots. Then comes a quick hit with the primer to cover up any bare metal.

Step 3:

With the old caps cut to size, it's time to make the TRD caps fit inside. I used the thin weatherstripping around the perimeter of the TRD caps to get a snug fit. The weatherstripping has an adhesive side, use this to secure it to the TRD cap, a rubber band helps temporary hold it in place while you work on the others. Carefully push the TRD cap into the cut cap from the back side, it should fit snug. Work it into place so all the edges line up flush. Now is a good time to test fit your caps into your wheel so you can make any adjustments before gluing.

Step 4:

Doing one cap at a time, mix your 5 minute epoxy and apply liberally across the inside of the assembled cap. Make sure you have all the seams, and all the contact points completely covered in epoxy. You really can't over do it in this step. The epoxy is basically what holds everything together, so just keep that in mind. Let it dry.

Step 5:

Once the epoxy on the back dries, flip it over. There is a small gap between the two caps on the front side. This needs to be sealed up. If you have a steady hand with the epoxy, use that. I used some superglue with a fine tip so I could be very precise. It worked well and, the gap seemed to suck the glue right in. *Note: The face of the TRD caps somewhat reacted with the fumes from the superglue, at least I'm guessing. They became a little cloudy, but it came right off with some rubbing compound.

Step 6:

After everything is dry go ahead and spray it with a few coats of clear/sealer. Just for some added protection and weatherproofing. After it dries, and you're happy with the results, you are done!

Here are some finished product pics:

Again, this is the process that worked for me. After looking for custom center caps I came up empty, so decided to take a chance at making my own. I'm happy how they turned out! Everything fits perfect, my only concern is durability. I'm not sure how well they will hold up to the elements, but that remains to be seen.

As for the specifics on my setup... The wheels are 18x9 FN Wheels BFDs, the black center caps are what they come with. I have a 4x4 but will be running wheel spacers so the flush-mount caps will clear just fine. Once I have my tires mounted I will update with final pictures of the caps/wheels installed on my truck.

Lastly, as stated above, this might not work for your particular setup and wheels, but I hope it will at least inspire you to try something similar!

I'll try to answer any questions the best I can.
Cody
Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
BeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeePee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Installed.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great, nice job and thanks for sharing.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
nice job. Looks great
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
wow. that looks out-fucking-standing!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Those are some nice looking wheels
Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Got the Fever
D1EHARD is on a distinguished road

D1EHARD's Tacoma Gallery
Very very nice. I commented just the other day about how nobody ever uses center caps with those wheels. Looks factory.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Those look great!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Sick!! Might want to do this for my new rims

Definitely subd
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. I'm buying the Lexus GX-F Sport center caps. We'll see how it goes.

Wonder if you can just buy these hubcentric rings and wrap them around the center cap with double-sided tape?

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo.../dp/B0032HQJ7G

Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
nice job, i'll be looking back on this thread later. i'm interested in the same wheels but need to make a few more truck payments first.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
that's awesome!
good job Bee
Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #16
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
nice job OP... best looking center cap for these rims I've seen.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #17

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! Hope this opens the doors for more people to try making their own caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I'm buying the Lexus GX-F Sport center caps. We'll see how it goes.

Wonder if you can just buy these hubcentric rings and wrap them around the center cap with double-sided tape?
The F-sport caps look nice, what wheel are you going to put them on? Not sure about the rings, it might be difficult to get the exact size you need. I ended up buying multiple materials at Lowes, it just turned out the weatherstripping fit the best. They have a ton of different sizes, options and materials, I'd recommend just browsing your local hardware store if you need to improvise.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Nice BeePee!!! I was looking at those center caps when I bought my 12 and was wondering how I could make them fit in my Countersteer Offroads!!! Now u have solved that mystery for me!!! This project will be happening ASAP!!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1EHARD View Post
Very very nice. I commented just the other day about how nobody ever uses center caps with those wheels. Looks factory.
I colormatched my center caps. Pics in my gallery

Good job OP. I was thinking about machining some flush center caps at work, but your way looks good.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #20

BeePee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo02cop View Post
Nice BeePee!!! I was looking at those center caps when I bought my 12 and was wondering how I could make them fit in my Countersteer Offroads!!! Now u have solved that mystery for me!!! This project will be happening ASAP!!
Pics when you're done!

Products Discussed in this Thread