Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Risks of Wheel Spacers?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Risks of Wheel Spacers?

Alright guys, I searched for a thread about this particular topic and couldn't find one, so I'm sorry if its already been posted, but I have a question that I hear one answer to and then I'll turn around and hear another. What are the risks if I use wheel spacers rather than buy new rims with a smaller backspacing? I do understand that widening the stance can increase stress on the hubs and studs and perhaps some suspension components, but is it that big of a deal? Is it negligable?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacers or even different wheel specs can put more stress on wheel bearings and wear them out faster. Wheel spacers, you just have to be careful with, make sure you use the provided loc-tite, torque them on and check them frequently. Go with a reputable brand. Personally, I wouldn't want them on my truck, I'd rather get wheels with the proper backspacing, I wouldn't want the potential failure point.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wheel spacers or even different wheel specs can put more stress on wheel bearings and wear them out faster. Wheel spacers, you just have to be careful with, make sure you use the provided loc-tite, torque them on and check them frequently. Go with a reputable brand. Personally, I wouldn't want them on my truck, I'd rather get wheels with the proper backspacing, I wouldn't want the potential failure point.
X2
Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
thousands of miles here with spacers with no problems, a lot of Long travel guys run them without issues
Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel spacers and different wheels with back spacing just put more stress on your wheel bearings/wheel studs. Expect your wheel bearings to last a little shorter time. I have spacers in the rear. Work fine.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
As noted, a little bearing wear, but frankly running larger tires and getting in the dirt does way more in the way of wear and tear than spacers do.

Take your time to ensure they are installed correctly. Clean the hub and studs thoroughly. Use red loctite. Give each spacer a full 10 minutes for the locktite to set before putting the wheel on. Do not overtorque the lug nuts.

Common sense will prevail.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
As noted, a little bearing wear, but frankly running larger tires and getting in the dirt does way more in the way of wear and tear than spacers do.

Take your time to ensure they are installed correctly. Clean the hub and studs thoroughly. Use red loctite. Give each spacer a full 10 minutes for the locktite to set before putting the wheel on. Do not overtorque the lug nuts.

Common sense will prevail.
Did you end up running spacers in the rear? the Stealth 6's are 4.3" backspacing right?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Did you end up running spacers in the rear? the Stealth 6's are 4.3" backspacing right?
They are and I ended up running 1.25s all around. The rear needed 'em, did the front for symmetry.

Should help when it's time to clear dirty-fives
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Quote:
They are and I ended up running 1.25s all around. The rear needed 'em, did the front for symmetry.

Should help when it's time to clear dirty-fives
Okay thats what i have too, i was hoping to go down to a .5" with the stealth 6's
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys! As far as of road applications go, would I be hurting anything running spacers more so than if I was running smaller backspaced rims? I have 265/75R16 and I eventually wanna go to 285, so I'm going to have to space out one way or another. I'm already rubbing slightly on the drivers side at full lock.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #11

Offroad just takes onroad wear and multiplies it by orders of magnitude.

So no, nothing new. What would've happened in 50,000mi on pavement will take 5,000 off it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Okay thats what i have too, i was hoping to go down to a .5" with the stealth 6's
Might be able to. I got the 1.25 because I knew I wanted to go to a larger tire later on.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Crydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrydaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Crydaddy's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

Well would it be the same difference to add say a half inch spacer to a 16x8 inch rim with 4.5 back spacing as running a 16x8 inch rim with 4 back spacing?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
ive had my 1.25" wheel spacers for 5000 miles. on road and beaten them offroad, not a single problem plus my truck has the perfect stance with them!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
Well would it be the same difference to add say a half inch spacer to a 16x8 inch rim with 4.5 back spacing as running a 16x8 inch rim with 4 back spacing?
The physics are identical.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Offroad just takes onroad wear and multiplies it by orders of magnitude.

So no, nothing new. What would've happened in 50,000mi on pavement will take 5,000 off it.
That's a good answer.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Bajatrailrider
bajatrailrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
bajatrailrider's Tacoma Gallery
I already have over 10,000 miles on my 12 DC 1.25 spacers on frt 50% street 50% hard Baja off road.So far no problems