Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cheapest Offroad Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
amadougrand is on a distinguished road

amadougrand's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest Offroad Tires

Looking for info on the cheapest rubber I can find?

When the warm weather prevails at the cabin I park up the Taco and jump in my 1952 M38 or 1953 M38A1 for a little slow putting in the mountains.

Needing new rubber for both, but I'm cheap when it comes to these things. An MT would be best, but a good AT would suffice as well.

I need something in the 30 x 9.5 or 10.5 x 15. I took the stock military 16" wheels off and put on 15" a while back. Sacrilege, but I kept the 16's if I ever wanted to go original again.

Just looking for an opinion where and brand for cheap rubber. The amount of time that gets put on these wagons makes the deleterious weather affect the bigger issue. The weight of these vehicle rarely leads to a flat in the sidewall, more likely to pick up a nail.

Thanks for any suggestions. Just not home to go down and see what is in the used tire barn at the local shop.

MW
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Treadwright tires.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

I have and am considering them, just wish they were a bit more aggressive.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
You trust your life to cheap tires..
Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Buckshot mudders are cheap and agressive.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
You trust your life to cheap tires..
Trust my life??? I'm confused??? Do you have any experience with the vehicles I am talking about? Top speed is 45mph on the highway when they rolled off the factory floor. They are mostly stock: 4cyl L head with a T-90 transmission, no seat belts, no doors, no radio and only one has a roll bar which is aftermarket.

Sorry Jim, but stick to the topic if you feel the need to say something please.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Maxxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Buckshot mudders are cheap and agressive.
I bought Maxxis Bighorns for my Taco with the 10 ply which I loved, but the gravel roads put the hurt on tire life at about 22k they are ready for new.

They would be a good tire for the speeds I drive the jeeps, but they are $130/ea which when I need to buy 10 is a bit much for my budget right now.

For my Taco size they were $200/ea.

MW
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadougrand View Post
Trust my life??? I'm confused??? Do you have any experience with the vehicles I am talking about? Top speed is 45mph on the highway when they rolled off the factory floor. They are mostly stock: 4cyl L head with a T-90 transmission, no seat belts, no doors, no radio and only one has a roll bar which is aftermarket.

Sorry Jim, but stick to the topic if you feel the need to say something please.
How far is it over the side of that Mountain== rocks,,cheep sidewalls..your life ,,have at it !!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
How far is it over the side of that Mountain== rocks,,cheep sidewalls..your life ,,have at it !!
Again Jim, thanks for your comment, but stick to the subject and Florida as you would not survive in Idaho.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadougrand View Post
Again Jim, thanks for your comment, but stick to the subject and Florida as you would not survive in Idaho.
That's a two way street the way I see it,,Please stay in Idaho ...So long
Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
That's a two way street the way I see it,,Please stay in Idaho ...So long
No worries there Jimbo, you can have Florida, I'll take the rest of the world.

Putting up a sign now: "Welcome to Idaho, now go home"
Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
JayC06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayC06's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked into a store brand. I got definity dakota's from.pep boys. There made by cooper.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
General Grabbers and Dunlops tend to be cheaper.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Treadwright max trax and backbones not aggressive enough?

Edit: nvm, saw what tire size you're running.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
Treadwright max trax and backbones not aggressive enough?

Edit: nvm, saw what tire size you're running.

30/9.50R15 PUMA (C) is the only thing they have in the size I am looking for, but still considering.