Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BEAD LOCKS! - Pics, specs, personal reviews.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the dumb question but are beadlocks legal to run on the street.
I wonder cuz u guys said dot beadlocks
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
None of our mods are legal to run on the street. Headlight mods especially. Plate bumpers? None of that stuff is DOT Approved. Now will you be ticketed for it is rhe question. That is all dependant on your luck and the oficers knowledge. Your chances a4e .001 that the leo would even know the difference between what your wheels actually are. Then where to even look for the stamp.

Same goes for the lights on our bumpers and roofs depending on the laws. Some places all need to be covered except oem...

List goes on. But personally, I would worry about it less than some of the other mods done.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
While what the guy above me said is true it usually depends on where you live on what is technically legal or not. A lot of places you can get away with illegal additions to your vehicle. It's usually only evident to an officer in small towns where there have been problems involving whatever the illegal thing is. Otherwise, in most occasions, it goes unnoticed. However, in most if not all states if a wheel is not D.O.T. approved it's not for on road use. That doesn't mean they're not safe though. Any beadlock wheel not DOT approved is considered for offroad use only. Meaning you run the chance of that one officer that's gonna cite you for it when he/she initially pulled you over for something else un-related. It doesn't happen too often. The only way we're going to start seeing a mass enforcement on them is if there happens to be numerous amounts of beadlock failures on the road and wrecks caused b/c of it. Lets be honest, that probably wont happen. Hell, there are so many simulated (fake) beadlock wheels out there anyways. To be honest, I doubt many officers are going to crawl on their hands and knees to look for a D.O.T. stamp on the inside of the wheel.

This has me curious though, has anyone ever been cited for non dot beadlocks being used on the road?

BTW, Tostidos.. Those method racing beadlocks are sick. Wish they were a little more affordable.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
None of our mods are legal to run on the street. Headlight mods especially. Plate bumpers? None of that stuff is DOT Approved. Now will you be ticketed for it is rhe question. That is all dependant on your luck and the oficers knowledge. Your chances a4e .001 that the leo would even know the difference between what your wheels actually are. Then where to even look for the stamp.

Same goes for the lights on our bumpers and roofs depending on the laws. Some places all need to be covered except oem...

List goes on. But personally, I would worry about it less than some of the other mods done.
while most of this is true. it goes by state and maybe county as well. here is TN it does not sat at all that you canít run beadlocks on the road, I have meet a few jeep guys that go to windrock and stuff a lot and DD on weekends and run beadlocks no problem. also we are not limited on what bumpers we can run, as long as it provides protection and is not welded on. hell i have seen some really beat up trucks having like a 2x12 as a bumper and some how itís legal.

also no limits on how many lights you can have here. also no law on them being covered at all. only limit is you can only have 4 total turned on, on the roads does not say they have to be OEM or not. also i canít find anything saying that we canít have rock sliders. also have seen an old jeep i think with a exo cage running on the roads and saw a cop drive by him and not pull him over.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Someone mentioned previously that they got a hard t I me from a leo over rhem
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
While what the guy above me said is true it usually depends on where you live on what is technically legal or not. A lot of places you can get away with illegal additions to your vehicle. It's usually only evident to an officer in small towns where there have been problems involving whatever the illegal thing is. Otherwise, in most occasions, it goes unnoticed. However, in most if not all states if a wheel is not D.O.T. approved it's not for on road use. That doesn't mean they're not safe though. Any beadlock wheel not DOT approved is considered for offroad use only. Meaning you run the chance of that one officer that's gonna cite you for it when he/she initially pulled you over for something else un-related. It doesn't happen too often. The only way we're going to start seeing a mass enforcement on them is if there happens to be numerous amounts of beadlock failures on the road and wrecks caused b/c of it. Lets be honest, that probably wont happen. Hell, there are so many simulated (fake) beadlock wheels out there anyways. To be honest, I doubt many officers are going to crawl on their hands and knees to look for a D.O.T. stamp on the inside of the wheel.

This has me curious though, has anyone ever been cited for non dot beadlocks being used on the road?

BTW, Tostidos.. Those method racing beadlocks are sick. Wish they were a little more affordable.
Thanks man, yeah I fell in love and had to get them. hoping I can try to get a sponsorship out of them when i start racing and get the forged guys! lol

But on the citation part, no. I havent heard of anyone personally but I know most tire shops will not so much as check the pressure on beadlocks because they do not have the DOT stamp.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Are you talking to me? Have you seen the build I am doing? I plan on basically doing an overland when I'm complete.
I haven't looked at your build thread or researched the future plans for your truck. I just commented on your post to beadlock experiences since I used to run them. Carry on
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I havent heard of anyone personally but I know most tire shops will not so much as check the pressure on beadlocks because they do not have the DOT stamp.
Truth! Discount Tire wouldn't touch my wheels when I had a nail in my tire. I had to pull tire off by hand and put new tire on myself. They balanced it once together but these are the issues that come up with beadlocks on a DD.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
24 bolts & 42's

Front end is a full width (not narrowed) Ford Dually D60.

Those are some big ass tires you have there.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, nice buggy there. I talked to Merchants/ Tire Direct ans was told hell no.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Found someone who had their TRD rims turned into real beadlocks. They look sick! I definitely think I will be looking into this once my truck stops being my DD.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adlocks-3.html

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #32
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
they were turned into fake locks? they don't look like to me that the bead would actually fit between there correctly?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
they were turned into fake locks? they don't look like to me that the bead would actually fit between there correctly?
No they were the Beadlock "style" wheels that he had turned into real beadlocks. Maybe I need to go reread my post and make it more clear.

Edit: OMF is a company that turns almost any rim into a real beadlock.

http://www.omfperformance.com/beadlo...onversions.php
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
No they were the Beadlock "style" wheels that he had turned into real beadlocks. Maybe I need to go reread my post and make it more clear.

LOL - Maybe I should get my 20" Rockstars turned into real beadlocks!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I saw another member here who has some real nice beadlocks that were converted.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #36
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Found someone who had their TRD rims turned into real beadlocks. They look sick! I definitely think I will be looking into this once my truck stops being my DD.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adlocks-3.html

those are pretty sick.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #37
č^õ č(ಠ_ಠ)õ č^õ
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i've always liked the hutchinson's

mcgrimm's

leaning that way when i do get the pennies saved up for some beads. i'd throw my mtrs on them and get a set of road tars for my current wheels.

those walker evans are nice looking wheels too..

and at the TRD conversion!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
Its the Journey, not the Destination
SierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shedSierraExp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cliff
SierraExp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

we've worked with OMF a few times and they are awesome people. We did a set of custom beadlock conversion methods for a TW member that turned out great. he wanted a 16x7 beadlock to properly fit a 255/85/16 tire. we had OMF beadlock and narrow a set of Method 304s.

like others have said tho its really overkill for 99% of people. you have to be really diligent with maintenance and torquing the beadlock bolts regularly. If you plan on parking the truck the majority of the time then absolutely go for it as prepping your wheels will become part of your normal prep routine. If its still a DD stick with a normal wheel. I will be running Method beadlocks on my truck once its finished but my truck will also spend most of its days in a shop, on jack stands getting prepped for the next prerun.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraExp View Post
we've worked with OMF a few times and they are awesome people. We did a set of custom beadlock conversion methods for a TW member that turned out great. he wanted a 16x7 beadlock to properly fit a 255/85/16 tire. we had OMF beadlock and narrow a set of Method 304s.

like others have said tho its really overkill for 99% of people. you have to be really diligent with maintenance and torquing the beadlock bolts regularly. If you plan on parking the truck the majority of the time then absolutely go for it as prepping your wheels will become part of your normal prep routine. If its still a DD stick with a normal wheel. I will be running Method beadlocks on my truck once its finished but my truck will also spend most of its days in a shop, on jack stands getting prepped for the next prerun.
Cool and good advice. I don't have any plans for making this happen anytime soon, but I definitely didn't realize that they required that much maintainance.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #40
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
This seems like the appropriate thread for this question. I am putting together atx bead locks on 37 inch kevlars tomorrow for my buddy in Afghanistan, for his jeep. Iv read a few ways on balancing them from air soft bbs to actual copper bbs I was curious what you guys have found to be the best way.