1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New! Mickey Thompson ATZ P3

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JWaldz, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Brand new, as of May 2013, from the Mickey Thompson line:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZP3

Great looking tire. Sidewall almost reminds me of a Maxxis Creepy Crawler. Available sizes kind of suck for right now. But, I'm sure they will release more in the future.

[​IMG]

atz p3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Goddamn just bought new tires. Looks good!

3. Jun 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Sweet! Just started collecting my new set of MTZs. I'll look into these next year for sure.

4. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    Those look awesome. I've been saving for MTZs but now these look like they may deserve consideration.

EDIT:
    Anyone try these out yet?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Jan 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just came across these looking to see about sizing in the previous atz, kinda reminds me of the cooper st maxx and the kelly tsr safari mixed together. nice tire!

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    looks like they brought out more common tire sizes too..

7. Feb 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    TylerfromtheNW

TylerfromtheNW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma trd
    3" toytec lift with bilstein tundra 5100's, aluminum canopy, too many off road lights, roof rack, winch and plate bumper, and some cool sound equipment that sounds cool.
    I'm pretty sure these tires are being phased out by the new ATZ P3, but I bought a pair of these in december and they have to be one of the best damn tires around. I replaced my my Toyo M/T's with these and has made everything that much more awesome. I wanted to write a review on these because when I was looking for some info on them, there just wasn't anything out there that I found all that helpful, and bought these hoping they would be okay.

Fyi: I have them on a 97 tacoma with 3 in lift, 33x12.5r15 (no rubbing Toyo's, even when I got rid of them rubbed at 20%, these are same size but somehow slightly slimmer, ok with me!)

I live outside of Portland Oregon, so we see a little of everything. My truck stays on pavement 90% of the time right now (I deliver pizza) and am a full time student, driving 100 miles a week to and from class. So a hard core MT tire wasn't what I was looking for when shopping for new tires. I still wanted something that could get me around when I am on the trails or out camping or hunting, so I chose these.

Wet/dry pavement - no problems, handle just fine, and haven't slid around any corners going faster then I probably should just yet lol. This wasn't a concern because just looking at the ATZ's and their siping and tighter tread blocks, I knew they should at least do better then the Toyo's here. And they do. They really grip the pavement even in the rain, and am super comfortable when it comes to braking in short notice to avoid rear ending someone. I read reviews regarding road noise, and I drive 45 miles off highway every other day and if your really paying attention, you can hear a humm, when cruising at 65 down the road... BUT, this isn't a luxury car, I think its ridiculous for someone to consider purchasing any tire of this type with road noise being a concern. My Toyo's at 20% tread were definitely noticeable, but that doesn't really matter here anyway.

Mud/Trails - not a whole lot of experience here with these yet but have done really well cruising down logging roads at 40 mph. The only mud they have really been in was in my families orchard, it was raining and I was getting firewood. The ground was a sloppy mess and I never had a problem.

SNOW! - This is the main reason I'm writing the review, nobody ever had much to say about these in the snow. Portland got hit with a 4 day snowstorm (thats a lot here, and first major snow storm in 5 years). Started out as dry dusty snow, never had to use 4 wheel drive. The following days it was getting compacted and eventually we got hit with some freezing rain. These were amazing, it was in 4hi the whole time, but I never once had a problem, and really had a hard time braking the tires loose to do cookies in my work parking lot haha. When others were getting stuck, I was cruising down the road at normal speed with almost the same amount of braking distance needed when its dry out. I purposely went out and went to the steepest hill in town to see how the tires did, they passed, at a complete stop, on a pretty steep hill I drove right on up. Fantastic in the snow. I drove up to Mt. Hood snowboarding that same weekend and cruised all the way up there no problems either. I'm absolutely amazed with these tires performance in the snow/ice.

Mileage: My Toyo's had close to 55k when I sold them, I don't see these having any shorter life span then those things. Almost 3000k miles on them now, and they still have the little rubber hairs on them.

Recommend them 100% for anyone with a weekend warrior kinda thing going on. They're considered an all terrain, but look pretty bad ass, and are easily misjudged for mud terrains, for all of you who buy for looks.

icy truck.jpg

8. Feb 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    skisailbike

skisailbike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    Icon 2.5 ET coilovers, LR UCAs, Dakars, Icon 2.0 RR ET Rear Shocks
    I ran those in a 37x13.50 on my Jeep JK Unlimited, and I loved them. Put 30K on them and had a ton of tread left. Great on rock, great on the highway, did well in snow. I think the tread looks very "AT" in the smaller sizes, but as they get larger the tread opens up and gets more aggressive.

9. Feb 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    TylerfromtheNW

TylerfromtheNW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma trd
    3" toytec lift with bilstein tundra 5100's, aluminum canopy, too many off road lights, roof rack, winch and plate bumper, and some cool sound equipment that sounds cool.
    Right on, and yeah I haven't seen them in a smaller size, but I know they have an atz radial plus that is a lot more all terrain look.

10. Feb 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    TylerfromtheNW

TylerfromtheNW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma trd
    I was really on the fence between these and just the normal ATZ's, ended up getting the ATZ's, and love them. Mickey Thompson did it right here, and if they don't make them when they wear out, i'll most likely be coming back for the newer P3's for sure.

11. Aug 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    These look sick, does anyone have them on their taco?

12. Sep 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    tarxheel

tarxheel Future Pharmer of America

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab with 6" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, 3" body lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Aries bull bar, Flowmaster dual exhaust, mesh grill, window tint, 17" American Eagle wheels, 315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires
    Any idea if you can still get these anywhere? The P3s don't look so good in my opinion

13. Sep 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    TylerfromtheNW

TylerfromtheNW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma trd
    Unfortunately I don't think you can. The p3's don't look good to me either. Maybe. Little browsing over google you might be able to find the older model but idk. Sucks, this tire has been so awesome!

14. Sep 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    tarxheel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtek lift, 3" body lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Aries bull bar, Flowmaster dual exhaust, mesh grill, window tint, 17" American Eagle wheels, 315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires
    I found a few left over but they aren't the right size...bummer

15. Sep 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    Ma Deuce

Ma Deuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado
    I had these in a 35x12.50 on my F150 for about 60,000 miles. They were a decent tire. Good tread life.

They handled snow, mud, ice, slush etc OK but nothing to write home about IMO. The most memorable thing about these tires to me was the amount of gravel they would hold in their treads. It would grab onto a little rock and just not let go lol

16. Sep 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    tarxheel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Joe, how was the road noise? And did you have the older model or the P3?

17. Sep 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM
    Ma Deuce

Ma Deuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado
    I had the older model. I couldn't tell you if they were really quiet, but if it wasn't bad enough for me to remember they must not have been really loud.

I remember the duratracs I replaced them with being slightly louder.

18. Apr 10, 2015 at 5:28 AM
    AZoutdoorsman

AZoutdoorsman Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2014 white Baja
    Removed Baja stickers, debadged, mattgecko red led bed lights, g4 fold-a-cover, more to come
    Good morning all,
    I'm about a year away from getting rid of my AT TAs and I'm curious about what everyone thinks about the ATZ P3s? There are reviews all over TW for other AT tires but but not much on these. Anyone have them? Likes/dislikes? I do quite a bit of off roading on rocky, sometimes muddy trials to get to my hunting spots so I like the extra sidewall protection of these.

Thanks

19. Apr 24, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    southernpanic

southernpanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    ga.
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport 4x4 dclb
    Pelfreybuilt,icon,camburg,allpro, method,Bushwacker,nfab,fox, Crown,toyo
    nice looking tire, friend has them on his jeep and likes them.

20. Jun 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM
    JWaldz

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    bump.. Anyone have these yet?

Products Discussed in

To Top