Another Aftermarket Wheel Question....

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
3ps14 is on a distinguished road

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
Another Aftermarket Wheel Question....

I was looking to purchase these set of wheels,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-84-6883

It says the hub bore size is 107.95mm is that close enough to an 108mm to fit a hub centric ring i.e

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0032H...=I4PTGV1XFG4Y7

Thanks in advance for any advice and input!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
I can't imagine .05mm being a problem, particularly if they're plastic - that's literally on the thin side of the thickness of an average human hair. That said, I'm not sure I'd bother with a 1.9mm ring anyway. If you torque the lug nuts properly you shouldn't have any issues without it. Seems like such a thin piece of plastic (.95mm) would be prone to breaking really easily once it's been heat cycled a few times.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grueinthebox View Post
I can't imagine .05mm being a problem, particularly if they're plastic - that's literally on the thin side of the thickness of an average human hair. That said, I'm not sure I'd bother with a 1.9mm ring anyway. If you torque the lug nuts properly you shouldn't have any issues without it. Seems like such a thin piece of plastic (.95mm) would be prone to breaking really easily once it's been heat cycled a few times.
Thanks for the prompt response. I was worried about vibrations that other members had with their aftermarket wheels that is why I considered buying a hub centric rings.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
If you get the wheels, have them balanced properly, install and torque them properly and still experience vibrations, then maybe consider the rings... Under normal circumstances where there's a significant difference between the bore and hub I'd get them, but .95mm just seems like more of a pain to deal with than it's likely to be worth.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful of fitment issues with those steel wheels. The only steel wheels that I know/heard of that clears the 2nd gen Tacoma's caliper are Wheeler's steel wheels. I would contact the manufacturer first about fitment.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Be careful of fitment issues with those steel wheels. The only steel wheels that I know/heard of that clears the 2nd gen Tacoma's caliper are Wheeler's steel wheels. I would contact the manufacturer first about fitment.
I wonder if I'll be able to get around that with a 1/4" wheel spacer? Anyone have any experience with my situation?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ps14 View Post
I wonder if I'll be able to get around that with a 1/4" wheel spacer? Anyone have any experience with my situation?
That's a possibility, but if you do add a spacer just make sure there's enough thread left for the lugs. Tacomas are known to have short front studs.

Products Discussed in this Thread