Ideas on tires and lift kits

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
13tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
13tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ideas on tires and lift kits

Whats up everyone?

I recently just purchased my new 2013 tacoma and im already looking for wheels tires and a lift kit. Found me some 17x9 xd addict matte black rims and was thinking bout throwing somehwhat of an aggressive looking tire maybe like Goodyear Duratrac 275/65/17.. any ideas on these tires or other tires i should look at? lifting truck 3ins to but dont know anything about them either.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Kornholio is on a distinguished road

Kornholio's Tacoma Gallery
18X9 XD addicts and 275/65r18 duratracs...stock height

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
255/85/16 BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs with 3" lift (2 3/4" lift after adding sliders, a full set of skids & 1/4" spacer) 885s & Dakars from Old Man Emu.
At 3" front & rear

At 2 3/4" front & rear

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
18X9 XD addicts and 275/65r18 duratracs...stock height

You don't run into any kind of rubbing with just the stock height?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
depending on the offset of the rim, you won't run into any major rubbing issues with 275/65/18. you'll have to take the front flaps off but that's about it.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13tacoma4x4 View Post
You don't run into any kind of rubbing with just the stock height?
yea slight rubbing, have to trim a little...but nothing to ridiculous
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelivestone View Post
depending on the offset of the rim, you won't run into any major rubbing issues with 275/65/18. you'll have to take the front flaps off but that's about it.
Well that's good to know!! Lol that kinda makes me want to go ahead and get the wheels and tires then just save up and get a lift kit later on if its not a must right now
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
More rubber/less rim is generally safer. Less chance of damaging rims, especially off road (or near curbs).
Ok sweet. That helps out!! Good looking truck btw.. Might go ahead and get the wheels and tires and save up for the lift kit. Seems like that toytec ultimate lift is the way to go even though a little more costly? Or would u recommend something else?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok sweet. That helps out!! Good looking truck btw.. Might go ahead and get the wheels and tires and save up for the lift kit. Seems like that toytec ultimate lift is the way to go even though a little more costly? Or would u recommend something else?
Thanks! You are opening up a can of worms talking about lifts. Several opinions on that topic. I chose the Toytec ULK to maintain level truck and options if I upgrade the leaf pack. OME has a smooth ride. Fox, King, ICON are nice but a little pricey. 5100s, AAL, and LR UCAs are cheap but effective. Depending on how high you go, you may need to add the cost of UCAs for alignment purposes regardless of lift.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
Quote:
Thanks! You are opening up a can of worms talking about lifts. Several opinions on that topic. I chose the Toytec ULK to maintain level truck and options if I upgrade the leaf pack. OME has a smooth ride. Fox, King, ICON are nice but a little pricey. 5100s, AAL, and LR UCAs are cheap but effective. Depending on how high you go, you may need to add the cost of UCAs for alignment purposes regardless of lift.
Yea I figure id get a million things on it.. I only wanna go bout 3in.. Originally just enough for wheels and tires not to rub.. Heard a buncha people talk bout the ome on here ESP for the price. Does the lift hurt your fuel mileage very much? I mean I live 5 minutes from work and it's my daily driver but not to worried about it lol.. Sorry for all the questions I'm new to all of this! Lol
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I figure id get a million things on it.. I only wanna go bout 3in.. Originally just enough for wheels and tires not to rub.. Heard a buncha people talk bout the ome on here ESP for the price. Does the lift hurt your fuel mileage very much? I mean I live 5 minutes from work and it's my daily driver but not to worried about it lol.. Sorry for all the questions I'm new to all of this! Lol
NP. Lift doesn't really effect mpg; tire size does. 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 is about as big as it gets without rubbing or sig effect on mpg. I encourage you to read through the suspension section. There are some really good threads to help you decide. Some are long, but this is an expensive decision you won't want to do twice. OZ-T is knowledgeable about lifts so I always trust his recommendations/posts.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
Quote:
NP. Lift doesn't really effect mpg; tire size does. 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 is about as big as it gets without rubbing or sig effect on mpg. I encourage you to read through the suspension section. There are some really good threads to help you decide. Some are long, but this is an expensive decision you won't want to do twice. OZ-T is knowledgeable about lifts so I always trust his recommendations/posts.
Ok sweet thanks il look into it And see what I can make of all of it.. Thanks for all your help and recommendations!:thu mbsup:
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
m.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
m.reed.1's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for answers

im looking into the ome 885 coils and the nitro shocks. not sure what i want to do with the rear just yet. looking for more down travel than anything. anyone know if the 5100's with an 885 coil gives you a good bit of down travel. or should i just go with the ome?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Or would u recommend something else?
OME 885s without spacers will give you 2 1/2", 3" with 1/4" spacers.
Dakars will give you around 3".

Quote:
I chose the Toytec ULK to maintain level truck and options if I upgrade the leaf pack. OME has a smooth ride. Fox, King, ICON are nice but a little pricey. 5100s, AAL, and LR UCAs are cheap but effective. Depending on how high you go, you may need to add the cost of UCAs for alignment purposes regardless of lift.
OME is just a little more than ULK & doesn't rely on preloading coils to lift. Rides great on & off road.

Quote:
Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures(123 ... Last Page)
Oz often posts on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.reed.1 View Post
subbed for answers

im looking into the ome 885 coils and the nitro shocks. not sure what i want to do with the rear just yet. looking for more down travel than anything. anyone know if the 5100's with an 885 coil gives you a good bit of down travel. or should i just go with the ome?
Get all OME. Shock & springs are designed to go together.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Quote:
Well that's good to know!! Lol that kinda makes me want to go ahead and get the wheels and tires then just save up and get a lift kit later on if its not a must right now
That would work. or you could just get 5100s for the front and set them at .85 and that would prolong you having to get a whole lift kit.... I coulda rode around on my tires for a while, but i already had the lift sitting at my house.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Mid Travel, 16s and 285/75/16
Old 06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about Stock sport 17" with 2" leveling kit up front and 285/70/17?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Any 275 width tire you WILL HAVE to trim because they will rub. 265/70r17 is the biggest tire you can put without trimming. No matter the offset or backspacing, unless you put some ridiculous spacers on it you will either have to trim or have to lift. Although the trimming is very minor, if ur anything like me...the idea of trimming a 2013 tacoma just makes my stomach turn...but i did it anyways
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
Any 275 width tire you WILL HAVE to trim because they will rub. 265/70r17 is the biggest tire you can put without trimming. No matter the offset or backspacing, unless you put some ridiculous spacers on it you will either have to trim or have to lift. Although the trimming is very minor, if ur anything like me...the idea of trimming a 2013 tacoma just makes my stomach turn...but i did it anyways
Taking off your mudflaps isnt that bad lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCCBEE View Post
What about Stock sport 17" with 2" leveling kit up front and 285/70/17?
My guess is yes, since it is a stock 17'' wheel. Im not an expert in lifts but im sure one of these other guys could answer your question better.