Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Do New Wheels improve anything other than looks?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
Do New Wheels improve anything other than looks?

I have never liked the look of the stock wheels for at Reg. Cab 4x4. I have thought about getting the TRD FJ Wheels, not sure on color but my just have to settle with Silver. My main question is do more expensive, supposedly "better" wheels/rims, not the tires, make much of a difference or improve the ride quality, especially since the size of the wheel would barely change? Say a swap from the stock to the TRD or any other aftermarket wheels improve ride quality or better whatever or is is mostly looks?

Thank You in advance.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
It is mostly looks unless they are really light weight wheels, wheels meant for extreme use, or beadlocks. 95% of wheels are just for looks
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
I chose Aluminum wheels for less weight and cuz they looked good.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Some people choose wheels for a specific offset to help step the tires out so they clear suspension parts and avoid having to use spacers.

Other than that, weight or functionality such as beadlocks. Some people will run steel wheels because they can bend rather than cracking.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
So functionally there would be no difference between a Steel Wheel (the stocks) and Cast Alloy (the FJ TRDs)? In some way hypothetically I started doing heavy 4x4 stuff I may want a steel instead of an Alloy? Currently I do no off-roading with the truck and also not planing much of any in the near future. I would upgrade the suspension before the wheels then. I am asking this because my b-day is in July and want to upgrade a few things on my Truck but looking at more practical/functional applications than merely cosmetics.

Also I would like to point out and thank you guys and other TWers for making this forum not like other forums where what can be a simple question gets multiple responses asking if the OP knows what a "Search" is for. I did try to do a search beforehand and did not find anything conclusive or in the mod section/threads so I had to make sure.