Notices

2012 Baja "How big" can I go???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
MWM BAJA 12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Micah
MWM BAJA 12's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Baja "How big" can I go???

I have a 2012 Baja. I don't want to add any suspension mods yet while its still under warranty but I do want to get bigger tires. How big can I go 285/75 16???
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Id recommend you get a feel for 265s first. 285 usually requires cutting even on some 3" lifts. If your dying to fit them and dont care about ride comfort then look into maybe Spacers both ways. Space vertically through suspension perch and then horizontally through your rotors in front. Wheel spacers at 1.25 usually gets your out enough to miss the normal stuff... Still might need to trim a tat bit for that tire.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Why buy a Baja and lift it? It already has good tires and suspension from toyota
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

I have a new front bumper on order from Pelfreybilt so I hoping any rubbing issues up front should be resolved if I run 285s. Since the Baja is already "lifted". If I went with 285s would the rubbing issue be up front and how exactly do the 1.25" spacers work?

I don't plan on lifting the Baja for a long while (paid off) so I don't void any warranties. And why spend all that extra for the Baja option if your gonna lift if as soon as you get it is pointless.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #5

The stock tires on it are 265/70 16 BF Goodrich All-Terrian. I think some 285/75s DuraTracs or Terra Grapplers would look wicked aggressive
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Im not super familiar with what they do to "lift" the baja editions but if its with billys then im going to say you should just need wheel spacers up front- They put space between your rotor and wheel so your turning radius is more widened... if that makes sense. So if you could only go 70 degrees without spacers, pulling the wheels out more will probably give you somewhere between 5 and 10 more extra degrees to clear anything like your trim or UCAs. Definitely wait and let someone who owns a Baja chime in but thats pretty much the gist of options people have without actually doing full lifts. My only concern running those tires would be rubbing your UCA or your front inner wheel trim.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
Im not super familiar with what they do to "lift" the baja editions but if its with billys then im going to say you should just need wheel spacers up front- They put space between your rotor and wheel so your turning radius is more widened... if that makes sense. So if you could only go 70 degrees without spacers, pulling the wheels out more will probably give you somewhere between 5 and 10 more extra degrees to clear anything like your trim or UCAs. Definitely wait and let someone who owns a Baja chime in but thats pretty much the gist of options people have without actually doing full lifts. My only concern running those tires would be rubbing your UCA or your front inner wheel trim.
iirc its "special" billies and eibachs for about 1.5-2" front lift.
screams "eibach/toytec" doesnt it?

rear is 5160 iirc
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
iirc its "special" billies and eibachs for about 1.5-2" front lift.
screams "eibach/toytec" doesnt it?
Its like the exact lift im running, Which ive decided ruined my ride quality so am saving up for King 2.5 COs in front with King Piggys loaded on Alcan 9s.

Best lift without going SAS or LT is what im told.

Anyways id just go to a big O or something and ask to have a set mounted to see. Sometimes they hook you up and sometimes they want to charge you.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Bran88hi is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
Bran88hi's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the 2013 Baja Edition and am having the 3 inch Ready Lift leveling kit put on so I can fit 285/75 R16 BFG Mud Terrains. We'll see how it goes. I definitely do not want to mess around with the Bilstein shocks that came on it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran88hi View Post
I just bought the 2013 Baja Edition and am having the 3 inch Ready Lift leveling kit put on so I can fit 285/75 R16 BFG Mud Terrains. We'll see how it goes. I definitely do not want to mess around with the Bilstein shocks that came on it.
please don't, just get a half inch top plate spacer from toytech
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't think youre supposed to do that. Especially without a uniball UCA. Half inch would be the most I would go.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ur going backwards
Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Ur going backwards
X2 I would have left as it was .
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WHHY???? Adding those spacers IS MESSING with the Bilsteins that it came with!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM BAJA 12 View Post
I have a new front bumper on order from Pelfreybilt so I hoping any rubbing issues up front should be resolved if I run 285s. Since the Baja is already "lifted". If I went with 285s would the rubbing issue be up front and how exactly do the 1.25" spacers work?

I don't plan on lifting the Baja for a long while (paid off) so I don't void any warranties. And why spend all that extra for the Baja option if your gonna lift if as soon as you get it is pointless.
Pointless anyway...
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ummm that is messing with it

OP and Bran88hi, why buy a baja and mess with the suspension??!! That's what you buy it for! Makes no sense and your just screwing it up
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the pelfreybilt plate or hybrid bumper
Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Bran88hi is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
Bran88hi's Tacoma Gallery
The 265s just aren't big enough. I just traded in my access cab that I had done the Truxx level on and loved the height. I had the 285/75 R16s on it. It wasn't too much but just right.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #19

Quote:
The 265s just aren't big enough. I just traded in my access cab that I had done the Truxx level on and loved the height. I had the 285/75 R16s on it. It wasn't too much but just right.
So why not save the cash you spent buying a Baja and bought a nice quality OME lift or even Icon or kings.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
So why not save the cash you spent buying a Baja and bought a nice quality OME lift or even Icon or kings.
I agree, coulda had kings and dropped panties on demand.