Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wanting to do 33s

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
I was going off of a picture I saw on one of the forums that had a 33" tire next to one of these. I just had the wife take a picture since I am out of town. It looks like it actually measures 32".
Attached Thumbnails
Wanting to do 33s-uploadfromtaptalk1370991016023.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Is that a 255/85/16 km2 though?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Yep
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #24

cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the link I was referring to about the large tire size. I misinterpreted the description but read the "words of caution" section.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...bfg_mt_km.html

Here it is:
Words of caution: I will start by saying the 255/85 is a large tire for the Tacoma with IFS and and full travel (no lowering of bumpstops, etc.), and is not a bolt-on endeavor. These tires measure 33.4" tall, and are much taller than the typical 33. The picture on the right shows the BFG 255/85 R16 next to a BFG 33x10.5 R15. There is a 1.3" difference in height between the two tires.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
It'll be close you might have to trim anyway, these are big tires lol. Also keep in mind the offset and backspace of your wheels are important too.
I have a 2010 Prerunner, SR5, TRD sport, and am putting on a set of 2" spacers from autospringcorp.com They say I can fit 285/70/17. (Actually they said 33x11.5) But will I need to trim/cut at all? If so what size tire should is the biggest I can fit without cutting?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCCBEE View Post
I have a 2101 Prerunner, SR5, TRD sport, and am putting on a set of 2" spacers from autospringcorp.com They say I can fit 285/70/17. (Actually they said 33x11.5) But will I need to trim/cut at all? If so what size tire should is the biggest I can fit without cutting?
Yes you will have to trim. Trimming is normally minimal and is located to the bottom of the fender flare and some of the plastic at the back of the fender. If you plan on off roading and flexing you will possibly have to bear down the pinch weld and maybe do the can mount chop.

The biggest size you can run without trimming will be 265/75/16 or 265/70/17
Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes you will have to trim. Trimming is normally minimal and is located to the bottom of the fender flare and some of the plastic at the back of the fender. If you plan on off roading and flexing you will possibly have to bear down the pinch weld and maybe do the can mount chop.

The biggest size you can run without trimming will be 265/75/16 or 265/70/17
Damn, I didnt want to have to cut my truck at all. Is it a lot of cutting? I dont plan on doing any more offroading other than going basically on the beach.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCCBEE View Post
Damn, I didnt want to have to cut my truck at all. Is it a lot of cutting? I dont plan on doing any more offroading other than going basically on the beach.
Guys hear cutting and they freak out lol. The best way to see what you'll need to trim is install the tires and drive for a day or so. Let it rub and make noises, then go back and you'll see what areas are being rubbed. Cut those pieces off and go from there. Honestly when you're done you'll barely be able to tell...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #29

cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't cut or trim at all. The tires rub the frame at full lock but I do have ome 883 coils and Dakar aal in the back. This is on my 97 regular cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Wanting to do 33s-uploadfromtaptalk1371087088931.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Guys hear cutting and they freak out lol. The best way to see what you'll need to trim is install the tires and drive for a day or so. Let it rub and make noises, then go back and you'll see what areas are being rubbed. Cut those pieces off and go from there. Honestly when you're done you'll barely be able to tell...
Yeah it makes me really nervous putting tires on not knowing how much I will need to cut. But I want to have that large agressive tire look. Has anyone seen a second gen with 2" spacers, with 265/70/17 and 285/70/17 that has pics?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #31

Here is mine when i had my coilovers at 2.25 with 285's

i had them on stock sport 17's with 1.25 inch spidertrax wheel spacers
Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is mine when i had my coilovers at 2.25 with 285's

i had them on stock sport 17's with 1.25 inch spidertrax wheel spacers
Ahh, so I should go ahead and get spacers too?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #33

Wheel spacers?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah sorry, wheel spacers.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #35

if you run 285's on stock rims you will them otherwise you'll rub on your uca's...
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #36
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
So, just to sum up. With 2" lift spacers, I need to run 265/70 with no change, but 285 I will need wheel spacers and to trim?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #37

Yes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man I really appreciate it!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
Turkhunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Dean
Turkhunt's Tacoma Gallery
hercules 285/75R16-33"

Good price, good Hwy driving, good wear, not that much noise, just a nice little hum and haven't got stuck yet. sweet tires. Just make sure to rotate every 5000.