1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With New Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by EndOfAnEra, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    EndOfAnEra

EndOfAnEra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport Magnetic Gray Blackout
    Black badges, GoRhino Dominator II bars, Ion Alloy 179 wheels
    Hey all,

I've been searching around for new wheels for my '13 TRD, and I keep getting told everything is test-fit with the TRD's, and nothing is a guaranteed fit. I'd like to get 17" wheels so I dont have to change my tires just yet. The problem is, all the suggested wheels wind up being close to $2K after install. I was looking at ordering the Ballistic Jesters in 17", but I don't know if there would be any issues with fit for those. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking at if I'm ordering online?

2. Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Jesters fit fine. A lot of guys on here run them.

IMG_1944_zps41c34d0b_4d527916afdf2fa970f9db475b25b8b1efdcd4f0.jpg

3. Jun 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

just an FYI if you did not know those red inserts are double sticky taped on the wheels and my buddy lost three in his first week of owning them. for that much money I would not accept that kind of quality and if they cut corners there it makes me wonder where else the corners have been cut. I have never seen shit sticky taped to wheels before...............

4. Jun 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    EndOfAnEra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I did my homework on those. I was planning on not using the red inserts anyways. Some of the discussions I've had about after market wheels on TRD's has been mind numbing though, I keep getting told there's no guarantee anything will fit so I'm hesitant to order online, but I'm not paying $250 per rim when I can get them online for cheaper.

5. Jun 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

the best bet is talking to trusted members here and having the correct info...

backset, width, offset, wheel size is key.

some of these members will tell you info they have no idea about so please be weary of who you listen to. get more than one opinion for sure.

good luck man. If I could help I would but I only researched the largest tire I could get on a Tacoma with minimal lift or mods and came up with 7" wide wheel, 5-1/4 backset with a 255/85/16.

6. Jun 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    Raz4back

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    I hope you aren't trying to take a shot at me in the above post. I worked 10 years in the truck accessory, 4x4, and conversion van industry. I'm not going to give information that I have no idea about.

FWIW, two sided tape is used to secure stuff that is under a lot more stress (and things that weigh a lot more) than the inserts on Jester Wheels.
    If you have ever tried to remove chrome rocker panel trim you wouldn't question the strength of double sided tape. Im an above average sized person and its all i could do to remove that crap. If your friend lost inserts then its possible 3M had a bad batch of adhesive or there was contaminant on the wheel (or he didn't get the wheel clean enough if he installed them. Mine were shipped without the inserts installed) Can they come off? Sure, but something was wrong somewhere to lose 3 in that length of time.

It is a good idea to remove the big washers/studs when you are going to go offroad. I actually left the washers off the last time I took them off. It looks fine without the washers and allows the studs to sit flush with the lip of the wheel.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  7. Jun 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    EndOfAnEra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. Are you using 17"? And what size tires are you running? I'm not up for spending huge amounts just yet (I'm planning on buying a nicer set next summer and using these for winter).

*edit* or I could just look at your build, but you have a leveling kit and I don't. Either way I think I'll be fine. I've narrowed it down to the jesters or a pair of ion alloys for this round. I'd just like to get something out of the stock tire instead of spending a bunch of money on new summer rims and then winter rims/tires right after.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  8. Jun 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Raz4back

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    My wheels are 17x9 with a -12 offset (4.5 backspace) and my tires are 255/75/17.

I'm running bilstein 5100s @1.75 up front and a 1.5 AAL in the rear. I had to remove the small flap at the front of the front fenders for clearance (I already had my mud flaps removed) I haven't had any issues with rubbing on road, very slight rubbing on the inner fender when turning right and the right front tire stuffed off road. Even with no lift you should be good with the stock tires.

Choosing your offset will depend on a couple of factors. If you plan on ever running 285s or wider or you want a wider aggressive stance you need to go with the -12 offset. The negative to this is that you will lose some clearance at thefender liner/flares when turning.

If you want to keep the stock look and are going to stay at a 265 width tire they are available in a +12 offset (5.5 backspace, the same as stock wheels).

You can also get them with a 0 offset which is half way between the two above. This will give you a little more clearance at the UCA than the +12 offset and a little more clearance at the fender liners/flares than the -12 offset.

Products Discussed in

To Top