Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Firestone MT's

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Firestone MT's

Just in case anyone is considering these tires now or in the future, thought I'd throw up a quick opinion of these.

I got a damn good deal on a set with lots of life left. Hadn't been beaten too hard. I know a lot of the trucks at the mines I worked for ran em, and they see some rough use on shitty roads, and that's it, hardly ever see pavement. They run em in a lot of mud, a lot of sand, a lot of rock, coal, brush. Well considering this I figured they'd be good tires.

Well even though mine use is hard, I guess my tires see worse.

It's been not 2 months now, one is garbage the other has a plug in the sidewall.

On the first trip out I stuck a thorn through the sidewall a couple inches down from the tread. It wedged itself against a shoulder lug and drove itself into the tire causing a slow leak. A simple plug and I was on my way. No one else had any problems on that trip.

More recently, about 2 weeks ago I was out in very remote Nevada on an old overgrown very narrow mining road when I cut a sidewall pretty damn good. Not sure what I hit but it trashed the tire. Also found another cut going down to the belts but not through.

Could be coincidence but I'm of the opinion these tires have weak sidewalls.

I've run from new:

Les schwab wildcat txr MTs
rugged trails
procomp mt's
duratracs
bfg all terrains
treadwright mt's
and now 3 firestone mt's and a kevlar mt/r

I've run them all in very similar terrain. I did manage to put a tiny cut into the sidewall of one bfg but I pinched it pretty good between my wheel and a rock, and I was able to plug that to get off the trail. I also cut the tread right down through a tread block and into the belts of the tire on a bfg. But I'd call that a fluke. I think the procomp had 1 rock puncture through the tread that needed a patch. I can't think of any other issues.

The good news is that they're a dull roar instead of a high pitched whine like those god awful annoying treadwrights, so they don't bother me on the road at all in terms of noise. They handle well, they're wearing well, they hook up just fine. They seem to be good in the rocks, mud, and snow. Haven't had em for any winter driving but I can say so far I'm happy with them on road and off but they have terrible sidewalls, or at least that's my experience so far. I'd be hesitant to recommend them for any serious wheelers. Too bad to because I really like the looks of em.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I feel like before long I'll be running mismatched tires all around. :P
Old 06-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
That's good to know. I've contemplated purchasing the destination m/t's twice now, but never pulled the trigger... the first time was because 35's were on backorder, and the second time I decided on IROK's instead. I've read great reviews on the destination MT's, but it's nice to read one from a fellow toyota enthusiast pointing out the sidewall issues.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

I guess it could be a fluke but so far I haven't had good luck lol.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I ran a set of them on my old taco and the mileage sucked, I got maybe 21k out of them, an yes i rotated them regularly. Once they got towards the end of their life they were really slick. Only had one to get a hole (sidewall) and that was from either a rock or a small tree branch. I couldn't tell what got it exactly but I knew right when it went. Personally I thought they were a little pricey for what they were
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
MyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTacosBetter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Angie
MyTacosBetter's Tacoma Gallery
I have put over 50,000 miles on the firestone destination ATs with no problems.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTacosBetter View Post
I have put over 50,000 miles on the firestone destination ATs with no problems.
Big difference between a mt and at though
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I was very happy with my set of Destination M/Ts even though I did end up with a couple of punctures out on the trails (a rock through the center and a stick through the sidewall). I replaced them with a set of Hercules Trail Digger M/T's and got slightly better traction, longer life, and only one nail in the center.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #10

Probably put 500 miles on these tires, all dirt, in the last 2 weekends. All sorts of different terrain, all speeds 80mph - 4lo 1st gear, lot's of abuse. Chunking like a bitch, lugs starting to rip off. They're looking rough, I've definitely had better tires.

No flats though!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

More dirt roads, a lot more, - 250 miles in the last 2 days alone, and these things are looking rough. One rear is worse than the other (picture below is of the worst one, naturally) and the front looks pretty okay except for one lug which is near torn off.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

oh and another sidewall cut but not through the belts, just to em... :|
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Mine chunked that badly, too. I think you'll be much happier with the Hercules Trail Digger M/T.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #14

edit: nevermind, lying craiglist cocksuckers!

I'll figure something out but I'm too cheap to by out the ass for new tires again.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
posseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
posseejesse's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never had a problem with my destination mt's. I put about 30k on some 33's before I sold the truck, they still had good tread on them also. I now have 13k on my set now and they still look brand new. I drive a lot of hunting trails and dirt roads during our 4 month hunt season and a lot of road miles.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Mine chunked that badly, too. I think you'll be much happier with the Hercules Trail Digger M/T.
Love mine and the price was nice.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by posseejesse View Post
Ive never had a problem with my destination mt's. I put about 30k on some 33's before I sold the truck, they still had good tread on them also. I now have 13k on my set now and they still look brand new. I drive a lot of hunting trails and dirt roads during our 4 month hunt season and a lot of road miles.
I'm guessing the terrain is a bit different. Sandy dirt, clay, mud and tree roots vs rock and brush, old mining roads, high speed desert, and whatever else. Im onto nitto trail grapplers for my fj80. 40x13.5x17 not k-spec but made similar
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
posseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shedposseejesse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
posseejesse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I'm guessing the terrain is a bit different. Sandy dirt, clay, mud and tree roots vs rock and brush, old mining roads, high speed desert, and whatever else. Im onto nitto trail grapplers for my fj80. 40x13.5x17 not k-spec but made similar
Absolutely (South Carolina). The tread compound must be setup more for this terrain, and softer for better grip on the roads.