Tallest and thinnest (most narrow) tire

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Tallest and thinnest (most narrow) tire

Hello all,

I've read quite a few threads and learned a lot in the process but i don't have a definitive answer as far as what is the tallest skinniest tire i can mount on my stock 17" TRD Sport wheels.

I really like the military / safari look and since my tuck is used 90% onroad, i understand the thinner tire will also help me get maybe 1-2 mpg more, which is great.

Based on what i've seen, it seems that 225/75/17 would be my best bet, but does anyone have experience with this tire size? I've seen folks call the 255 pizza cutters, what does that make the 225?

I've got a 2" lift all around.

Thanks in advance to everyone who can help a fellow member out.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd check to see if you can even fit 225's on the stock sport wheels or if they require a narrower wheel. Thinnest I've seen is 235's and they're pretty thin. I'm not sure I'd want to go narrower than that. One, it'd just look silly and two, that's not a lot of tire on the road. Eventually, if you get too skinny, you won't have enough rubber on the road to keep decent traction.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
PS , 225/75/17 is about the same height as the stock 265/65/17 , actually a big smaller
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'ed to see how this turns out.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Also, do a quick search, the 225's might not even exist. 235/80R17's do exist and might be a better option. It will still look silly on the stock wheels though. If I were to go with a tire that skinny, I'd space them out so you still keep the same track from outside of tire to outside of tire.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Firefighter:
225's exist but are very hard to find, at least for me haha. Most of the folks who use them are the guys with dullies.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Go 255/80/17 OP
Do you have pics of what it looks like on our trucks? Got any experience with this size?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
Do you have pics of what it looks like on our trucks? Got any experience with this size?
There is a big thread on 255/85/16 ( same size tire for 16" rim ) search that one out
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
There is a big thread on 255/85/16 ( same size tire for 16" rim ) search that one out
Here it is

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...70#post3143870
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You can run 235/85 on 16s if you switch wheel size
Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
235/85/16's are a nice size for some improved peformance yet still maintaining good mileage, if you want more than that the 255 size in a 16inch wheel is the way to go, cooper will be putting out their new st maxx in this size and maybe a similar 17 by this coming fall if you can hold out
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
I don't see it here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r17-255-70r17

Is that a standard tire size?
255/75R17 is pretty common, I believe they come stock on Jeep Wranglers so you might be able to pick up a set of take offs cheap.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
If you do go 235's you have to have 7.5" wide wheel otherwise they won't fit
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
255/75R17 is pretty common, I believe they come stock on Jeep Wranglers so you might be able to pick up a set of take offs cheap.
I think he means 255/80, which is uncommon but they (mfgs) do make them in that size.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I think he means 255/80, which is uncommon but they (mfgs) do make them in that size.
I was just giving him another option. I've been keeping my eye on craigslist for Wrangler take offs in that size. They're a great option if you like the tall, narrow tire. If you can find Rubicon take offs, you might be able to get a deal on M/T's.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
If you do go 235's you have to have 7.5" wide wheel otherwise they won't fit
Ok so according to this: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...tml#post474080 then i should be good with my sport wheels. Thanks for the feedback guys, will look around for that size. Hope i can find one that i like with a flat shoulder (i like the edged look not the rounded corners like my stock tires).