Notices

Powdercoating question?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Lancejoker is on a distinguished road
Name: Lance
Lancejoker's Tacoma Gallery
Powdercoating question?

I've been looking just about everywhere for a set of the Gunmetal Grey TRD Bead Lock style wheels off the new Bajas. However,I've only been able to come across them a couple of ways. Buying a Baja,an occassional ebay auction that ends up around $1600,and one dealership offered to sell them at $599 a piece with TPMS sensor and no tires. So I was wondering if it would be possible to powdercoat a set of the Bronze wheels and make them look like the gunmetal? Didn't know if the powdercoating process would have any effects on the structural integrity or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Powdercoating question?-bronze-20trd.jpg   Powdercoating question?-trd-20baja-20wheels.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Any reputable powder coat shop can do anything to those wheels and it will not effect the integrity of them at all
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I powder coated the silver FJ 16s to flat black & they were perfect replica TTs, $75 a wheel here at a local shop.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I powder coated the silver FJ 16s to flat black & they were perfect replica TTs, $75 a wheel here at a local shop.
A buddy did the same thing...he had his done at the prison for 200. The prison has jobs and programs for the inmates to learn a trade and serve the community...kinda cool and it saves us loot

They turned out perfect!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
DarthDickHead is on a distinguished road
Name: Dalton
DarthDickHead's Tacoma Gallery
Are these actual bead locks?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDickHead View Post
Are these actual bead locks?
No, simulated...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the quick replys.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancejoker View Post
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the quick replys.
Yeah man, no worries. Call around to your local shops and see what they can do for you...the shops offer dozens of colors from sea foam green to pink...you can have them do the ring 1 color and the wheel itself anoher...it'll probably cost more doing multiple colors because of time, material and labor to customize it BUT...it'll still be cheaper than $1,600 for the OEM ones AND you get to choose your own colors and have em look 1 of a kind

Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Toyota 16" wheels, powder coated anthracite with modified FJ Cruiser centercap.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCruiser View Post
Stock Toyota 16" wheels, powder coated anthracite with modified FJ Cruiser centercap.

That looks boss!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
That looks boss!
X2... love the anthracite!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
My truck is MGM so I think the matching grey would look killer. The polished rings should go well with the chrome bumper as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
My truck is MGM so I think the matching grey would look killer. The polished rings should go well with the chrome bumper as well.
Hell yeah man! Good luck! Let us know how it goes and post some pics ASAP!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
Ill be sure to post some pics when it happens. Trying to figure out the plan before I start. Otherwise it would REAL expensive. Lol. But we all know how that goes.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
MikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant future
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Part number is PTR18-35090GR.

A quick search on Google shows multiple sources selling them now. I wish they were available when I bought my black ones back in December. I searched high and low and even offered to kick the parts guy some extra $$$ for getting me a set, but I kept hitting multiple dead ends.

Maybe you cannot actually get them online at the sources and you need a VIN, but I do notice that they are at least actually listed now compared to when I was looking and they weren't even listed.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Thanks for the info Mikey. I would definitely prefer just ordering them.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Look up TRDParts4U or something like that, last I looked they had them for $300 or less a piece
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
( . ) __ ( . )
raultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
raultd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Yeah man, no worries. Call around to your local shops and see what they can do for you...the shops offer dozens of colors from sea foam green to pink...you can have them do the ring 1 color and the wheel itself anoher...it'll probably cost more doing multiple colors because of time, material and labor to customize it BUT...it'll still be cheaper than $1,600 for the OEM ones AND you get to choose your own colors and have em look 1 of a kind
But you have a set of fake wheels, which is no where as valuable if you want to resell it. Same goes for the original FJ Trail Teams or Anthracites.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
( . ) __ ( . )
raultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shedraultd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
raultd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Look up TRDParts4U or something like that, last I looked they had them for $300 or less a piece
I think thats for the black or bronze, I tried to find a set of gray T/X wheels for a while now with no luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been looking just about everywhere for a set of the Gunmetal Grey TRD Bead Lock style wheels off the new Bajas. However,I've only been able to come across them a couple of ways. Buying a Baja,an occassional ebay auction that ends up around $1600,and one dealership offered to sell them at $599 a piece with TPMS sensor and no tires. So I was wondering if it would be possible to powdercoat a set of the Bronze wheels and make them look like the gunmetal? Didn't know if the powdercoating process would have any effects on the structural integrity or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Those grey TRD's bead locks are some of the best looking wheels out there imho. Good luck with your search. Looking forward to the pictures.