Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheels and tires for my new tacoma

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
tbrackman84 is on a distinguished road
tbrackman84's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels and tires for my new tacoma

Hello all, I just bought a 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport with a 3" lift. While i'm not completley new to trucks, I am having a hard time finding the information i'm looking for. The truck i bought needs new tires and the wheels look pretty crappy up close, so I think i'm going to go with new wheels and tires for it. I'm having a hard time deciding on what sizes to go with.
As far as tires, I am probably going to to with Cooper Discoverer AT3's, but unsure of what size to get. Through some research, I saw that people seem to go with either 265's, 275's or 285's. I do not want to do any trimming and defintley dont want any rubbing, so i think i'll go with the 275's.
For wheels, I was thinking of going with 17x8, or 16x8 but i dont know what backspacing, offset, etc. to get. I saw people going with 4.5" backspacing, which i believe is slightly less that the stock wheels, i'm not sure though.
I am just looking for a nice aggressive look, without the tires extending too far past the fenders (illegal in PA), and without them rubbing anything. Any info anyone can give would be appreciated. thanks...

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a 3" lift and want the fill the wheel well better step up to 285's. At 285's you'll want 4.5" or less backspacing wheels so push the wheels out so it doesn't hit/rub on the UCA.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
4.5 backspace and 16x8 wheels give a nice stance while still being within the legal limit. That's what I'm running and they stick out about an inch past the fenders. I'm in PA as well and never had a problem.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
thanks lusetaco, do you have 265's on your truck? that is whats on mine now... Does having the different size wheels make them look as good as yours does?! haha
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrackman84 View Post
thanks lusetaco, do you have 265's on your truck? that is whats on mine now... Does having the different size wheels make them look as good as yours does?! haha
Yes, 265/75/16. I didn't want to trim either and wanted to keep some of my dwindling MPG. 4.5 seems to be a nice backspace for these trucks without issues.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
awesome, thank you. can you post up a few more pictures of your truck?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
that looks great man the exact look I want! where about in PA are you from? looks like you're in some coal dirt in the one picture!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
that looks great man the exact look I want! where about in PA are you from? looks like you're in some coal dirt in the one picture!
Yep, a few of those are from a wheeling trip in Shamokin. I'm from Lancaster county.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Oh cool man, I live in schuylkill county real close to shamokin lol
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
So you are happy with the 265's, you don't wish you would have went with a bigger size or anything?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to interrupt, but I have a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner, dbl cab that I purchased new last week. I just ordered my rims, 16x8 with 4" backspacing. I was thinking of running 285/70, but now that I've read this, I may stick with 265/70 or 75. Since my backspacing is only 4", I'm assuming they'll stick out another half inch from the fender. I'm not running any lift (parking garage at work...), so just wanted others' 2 cents. Thanks for the info and pics.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
bornwildguy, why not 265-75, 275-75's, are they too big? and do you think the 275's would fit without any rubbing? And yes my dad is AT3's on his tacoma and he loves them..
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
I realy like this wheel/ tire combo on this toyota, can anyone guess or tell what sizes these would be? lol..

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed. Perfect stance, lift height and wheels.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
bornwildguy, why not 265-75, 275-75's, are they too big? and do you think the 275's would fit without any rubbing? And yes my dad is AT3's on his tacoma and he loves them..
If your looking at 17's cooper doesn't make a 265/75 or 275/75. If you want to run a 265/75 you will have to look at 16's which you can also run. You shouldn't have any issues w 275's rubbing since you have a 3" lift and also since your front mud flaps are off
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
So you are happy with the 265's, you don't wish you would have went with a bigger size or anything?
I'm happy with the 265's. Next step up is a 285 and that's when it gets iffy. I only have a 2.5 inch lift in the front and just TSB springs in the rear. Sometimes when I look at it I wish I had 285's but I'm sure my fuel economy would be worse than the 15 MPG I'm getting now and the wish dies.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
youngblood is on a distinguished road
youngblood's Tacoma Gallery
At full articulation offroad, or just reversing on an incline for that matter will induce rub with the wrong size tire/offset no matter the lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
If your looking at 17's cooper doesn't make a 265/75 or 275/75. If you want to run a 265/75 you will have to look at 16's which you can also run. You shouldn't have any issues w 275's rubbing since you have a 3" lift and also since your front mud flaps are off