Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Major alignment problems.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
Major alignment problems.

Was just told by a shop they couldnt align my truck because my pass tierod was maxed out. A previous alignment shop maxed it out and because of that the steering wheel was turned but they had told me I can rotate it at the steering column. It didnt bother me so I didnt rotate anything.

Now im eating through these front tires.. what the heck would cause this or can be done to fix it? Heres a pic of the numbers
Attached Thumbnails
Major alignment problems.-uploadfromtaptalk1373324616543.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sooo no body has any input to this? really?

i think it's all effed up from my coilovers being cranked to level out the front. that's the only thing that has been changed that would affect it.
nothing is bent that i can tell.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
The steering rack is not centered.
Count the number of turns the steering wheel turns from center, left to right. They should be equal. If they are, something is bent.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
bonafide

i'm not sure how the rack couldn't be centered. all the bolts are tight and there is no adjustment on the rack itself. but wouldn't everything being miss aligned throw that off anyway?
turns right 2 times. turns left 1.5 times. but the driver pitman looks fine, and has plenty of thread left to adjust.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
i'm not sure how the rack couldn't be centered. all the bolts are tight and there is no adjustment on the rack itself. but wouldn't everything being miss aligned throw that off anyway?
turns right 2 times. turns left 1.5 times. but the driver pitman looks fine, and has plenty of thread left to adjust.

sounds like a tierod ends need to be adjusted. turn the wheel to center and from there back off the passenger side and increase driver side to even them out. I think that's what an above poster meant. The rack is not centered between tie rod ends.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
The rack is not centered between tie rod ends.
Exactly. With the different amount of turns from left to right, the rack is not centered.
Someone pulled the steering wheel off and reinstalled it to be in the straight ahead position.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
bonafide

ahhhh i gotcha. sweet, i'll do that tonight and post back. thanks guys
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech.

Any updates?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
GrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Paratrooper
Name: Andy
GrayTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Get the upper control arms. Once you lifted the front of your truckr it changed the suspension geometry. Or you could have the alignment shop hollow out the holes where the upper control arm goes (the long bolt up top) that should bring the camber and caster closer to specs and then adjust the toe . Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
bonafide

Heh i still haven't had time really to tackle this. I was hoping to do it this week.
Andy, i'm doing my best to not have to spend money on IFS parts with a SAS in the near future.
Back when i first had this issue i talked to my buddy who was the manager at an alignment shop for the last few years and he said the same thing that was repeated earlier - reset the tierods and try again