1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What PSI should i run my new tires at?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Toy Yoda, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jul 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda [OP] gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    Just put on Cooper Discover ST Maxx 285/75/16 with 16x8.5 level 8 guardians. tires are load range E on my truck and they're a lot stiffer than i thought they would be. My truck bucks over the smallest bumps and louisiana roads are shit, so its noticeable. im taking the truck in tomorrow to get everything aligned because i put the wheels and tires on myself and i think this may have something to do with it. Should i just air down a little bit to soften things up or could it be my alignment? on smooth pavement it drives and rides like a dream, doesnt pull to one side, steering wheel doesnt shake, and the truck takes corners like a beast. any advice?

2. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    search for the chalk line procedure to set your tire pressure in these forums.
    285's will rub in turns without cutting out material.
    As far as being a stiffer ride than the other tires, I'm not sure why.

3. Jul 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    x2 on the chalk line test.............google it

trucks vary in weight depending on 4 door, reg cab, access cab, bed length, 2 or 4wd, tool boxes, armor, etc.

I will say.......... dont run em at the MAX rate on the sidewall unless ur at max capacity and its warranted.

and dont run them at the psi in the door jamb because thats for the stock tires and may be too low.

too much air causes a rough ride, early tread wear on only the center tread area, and smaller footprint.

too little air causes excessive tread wear on the outer portions of the tread face, sloppy turning due to sidewall flex, increased tire pressure due to the sidewalls having less support from the internal pressure and can cause a blowout (they support the weight, not the tread face), poor MPG (it is a truck tho), etc.

4. Jul 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    I run 35psi on my BFGs 285/75/16. Smooth ride. And americas tire set it there. Im sure they know what they're doing.

5. Jul 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    Erik65

Erik65 Dog slave

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oxford, MA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica TX Pro DC
    Stainless exhaust, 16" TRD wheels, 285x75x16 MTR Kevlars, Icon Stage IV, Icon Secondary shock hoop with adjustable remote reservoir bypass shocks, ATO shackle flip kit, AP U-bolt flip, AP Skids (IFS, transmission, T-case, diff cover)
    Uhh shouldn't you follow the door jam sticker and then worry about drawing chalk lines?

Products Discussed in

To Top